Help please - Rads don't heat up

Naj

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The problem: when I turn the heating on, only if the upstairs rads are turned down from full heat to medium heat do the 3 out of the 5 main downstairs rads eventually heat up and thats after the heating is on for 55 mins!! Even these 3 downstairs rads produce medium heat and not full heat. The other 2 downstairs rads heat fully regardless of whether the upstairs rads are on full or medium. If the upstairs rads are on full heat, the 3 problem rads downstairs dont heat.

The upstairs rads do take about 20 mins to heat up fully.

I had the old cylinder system in a long three bedroom house which has 5 rads downstairs and 5 rads upstairs. 3 of the rads downstairs would not heat up. Had these rads removed and cleaned which did not solve the problem. I then had the 3 rads replaced. Still did not make a difference. Corgi Registered engineer assured me a power flush would solve the problem. He attempted this but the boiler stopped working. So the boiler was replaced with a valiant 831 eco tec and the old cylinder system removed. He stated the 'sealed' system will operate better. When the boiler was replaced he power flushed the system. The above problem was still generally prevalent but there was some improvement compared to before. He performed a second powerflush two weeks later. The problem is still there. He now states he does not know what to do and is open to suggestions. He is suggesting a third and final power flush. Do i rip out the laminate flooring and replace the piping downstairs (this is the only thing I can think of). All the TVR's have also been replaced with new ones on all rads.

The boiler is in the kitchen. I have been told the system flows upstairs first then downstairs.
Please help. This is driving me nuts.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back