Looking for suggestions for a new Gym Floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an outbuilding with aprox 6M x 5M footprint that I've been planning on turning into a home Gym for donkeys & the time has finally come.

The existing concrete floor was a complete wreck so I've dug it all out to lay a new one. I would like to insulate the floor as I've already done walls & roof so it's not to baltic in the winter.

I've seen loads of conflicting info online as usual but as far as I can fathom a standard floor for an occasional room where you'd want to be able to change the temp fairly quickly would be:

Sub base 100mm+
blinding sand 25 to 50mm (or heard of some people putting down 25mm jablite instead?)
1200 g DPM
Slab min 100mm
Aprox 100mm PIR
Another plastic sheet
Screed min 65mm+
Then I was thinking maybe 18/19mm timber like T&G or polythene topped off with large rubber horse stall mats.

Would this be any good for a gym, I don't throw weights about like a lunatic but obviously there will be the odd clang? I've already dug down 500mm & don't really want to go much deeper as it's an old building with shallow foundations plus I want to preserver as much valuable head height as pos so can't go to mad on the thickness of the various layers.

I was wondering if I should go slab on top of insulation then screed if it would make it any stronger even hour it'd increase the heating time for an occasional room?

Or any other suggestions for me to consider would be more than welcome (y)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back