Looking To Install Down Lights

Sponsored Links
With regards to fitting these, could i simply loop the lights as in like daisy chain them together from the connector block on the downlight or would this be deemed as bad practice?

Also would 1mm2 twin and earth cable be sufficient?

With regards to fitting these, could i simply loop the lights as in like daisy chain them together from the connector block on the downlight or would this be deemed as bad practice?
Cable size is fine.

However the picture would suggest that these lamps need an earth - do you have a lighting circuit earth?

If I am mistaken and these are class two lights how do you intend to operate them - a wall switch?
Also how do you intend to the get the power to the switch and switch live and a neutral to the lamps?

Cable size is fine.

However the picture would suggest that these lamps need an earth - do you have a lighting circuit earth?

If I am mistaken and these are class two lights how do you intend to operate them - a wall switch?
Also how do you intend to the get the power to the switch and switch live and a neutral to the lamps?

I'm looking to buy class 2 downlights as the lighting circuit has no earth and these will be operated by a wall switch.

These will also be replacing my current light fitting that is there already.

Sponsored Links
In which case since it doesn't say class 2 equipment I would say that those lights you highlighted from toolstation are not compatible with your non earthed lighting circuit.
If you do eventually find compatible class 2 led downlighters then to wire them you need the examine your current ceiling rose to ensure that a line and neutral is available and if necessary put the into terminal blocks by following these guidelines which you may have seen before.
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:lighting:rose
Then the new lights are connected to the L and N as shown and then looped in and out of second to the third as you suggested earlier.

In which case since it doesn't say class 2 equipment I would say that those lights you highlighted from toolstation are not compatible with your non earthed lighting circuit.
If you do eventually find compatible class 2 led downlighters then to wire them you need the examine your current ceiling rose to ensure that a line and neutral is available and if necessary put the into terminal blocks by following these guidelines which you may have seen before.
Then the new lights are connected to the L and N as shown and then looped in and out of second to the third as you suggested earlier.

In the light fitting that is currently there, there are only 2 cables that are connected to it which would appear to be a live and neutral...

In the light fitting that is currently there, there are only 2 cables that are connected to it which would appear to be a live and neutral...
If the two cables at the old fitting are switch live(line) and neutral then when you do get compatible class 2 lights you put the live to the live on the first light and the neutral to the neutral. Then run new cable from the live and neutral from the first light to the live and neutral on the second light and onto the third light.

If the two cables at the old fitting are switch live(line) and neutral then when you do get compatible class 2 lights you put the live to the live on the first light and the neutral to the neutral. Then run new cable from the live and neutral from the first light to the live and neutral on the second light and onto the third light.

Thanks for your help :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back