Looking to repair/replace existing patio

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have existing concrete slabs that I'm going to replace with smaller patio stones. I'm also going to extend the patio in an area that used to have a crappy flower garden.

I was thinking that I need to redo the entire base for this install. After visiting my local garden center, they recommended leaving the current base, and only excavate the new extended area and fill with limestone screening (and fixing the grade where necessary). Is this OK? Since I am doing this myself, it will be a lot less work to take this approach instead of redoing the entire base (removal of old material, etc).

Sponsored Links
when yuou lift a slab of the existing, how solid is it.. IS it perfectly hard or is it mushy sand like stuff. It really depends, personally when you are doing it yourself, you arent wanting to kill yourself,

I know people on here will give you more professional opinions but relly if it aint broke dont try to fix it just extend it and use it.

how long has the existing patio been down? If its been down 5 years or more and it hasn't sunken anywhere then i'd say its fair to assume the base is ok. It should be very hard and if you cant sink your heel into it then it'll be grand. If i am ever asked to lift and relay or replace paving but leave the original base i lift everything but don't disturb the existing hardcore base and plate it a few times. It is however very difficult to extend a paved area without the extended bit sinking to some degree. The best bet is to plate it a lot as you bring up the depth of hardcore. say plate it after every inch.

What are you laying and how do you intend to lay them?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back