Loose Brickwork

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What is the best way to fix this problem?

Above my 1st floor far left window lintel there are 6 courses of bricks that are loose below the arch (See photo) when I push it with my hand the whole lot moves in and out as one about 1cm!

9000_8018_64794_51156451_thumb.jpg

Or see this link:- http://www.mybuilder.com/myjobs/job/930328/view#

Sponsored Links
Your link is no good without a logon.

How old is the house?

Ivor

The house was built in 1998.

the insurance company Churchill said they wont pay out because its wear and tear!!!!

Sponsored Links
Hard to see from your little photo, but I guess there were no wall ties put in between the arch and the brick infill, the bricks are not keyed into to the arch, the lintel has dropped a little, the mortar bond between the bricks and the arch has failed.

Defective workmanship or design, quite rightly nothing to do with your insurance.

You could try going back to the original builder, nothing to lose, but the 10 year gtee has expired, and all the houses of that design could have the same problem so he's not likely to be helpful. For him, it's a potential can of worms.

Otherwise, you need a good bricklayer. Remove the bricks, somehow create a mechanical bond with the arch.
The other arch may fail in the same way.

You might try asking at other houses, see if anyone else had the problem yet.

Ivor

Thanks Ivor

I think this may of happened when I replaced the windows with double glazing 5 years ago when they hammered out the old wooden frames, but it would be hard to prove.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back