Loose tiles & cracked grout in 1st floor bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wonder if anyone can help...

I moved into a new place about 8 months ago and the bathroom had been re-done about a year before that. The bathroom is on the 1st floor and has a tiled floor and tiled walls.

1st problem is the floor tiles, they are becoming more and more loose and the grout in-between them is gradually cracking more and more.

2nd problem are the tiles in the show cubicle, these are not loose (yet) but the grout is cracking and getting gradually worse.

I need to sort these things out before I start getting leeks to the ceiling below and tiles start droping off the walls in the shower but I do not want to have to rip all the floor tiles up and start again I really just want to be able to fix the loose ones and re-grout then re-seal the floor/ shower tiles to give them a longer life span - Sounds lame and an easy way out but am busy doing the rest of the house at the moment and really can't cope with the bathroom aswell!! Just need to buy myself as much time as i can on it.

Does anyone have any good advice?

I should point out I have no experience in tiling at all! :)

Cheers
Greg

Sponsored Links
brogang said:
1st problem is the floor tiles, they are becoming more and more loose and the grout in-between them is gradually cracking more and more.
Is the floor a bit bouncy perchance?

If so then you're onto a hiding to nothing unless you make it rigid and re-lay the tiles.

2nd problem are the tiles in the show cubicle, these are not loose (yet) but the grout is cracking and getting gradually worse.
Er, regrout them then?

I really just want to be able to fix the loose ones and re-grout then re-seal the floor/ shower tiles to give them a longer life span - Sounds lame and an easy way out but am busy doing the rest of the house at the moment and really can't cope with the bathroom aswell!! Just need to buy myself as much time as i can on it.
Well, you could remove the loose floor tiles, soak them to get the adhesive off more easily, dry them out and re-lay them using the correct adhesive. Prime the surface underneath if necessary.

I should point out I have no experience in tiling at all!
In that case you need to follow the adhesive manufacturer's instructions to the letter.

Cheers Softus, I have a feeling the floor that the tiles have been laid on is probably not completely solid so apart from ripping up, making solid and re-tiling (which i will have to do eventually) is there a flexible grout solution or something in the meantime?

Ok so regrout the shower tiles (doh!) Is there anything i can use on them after regrouting to form a seal over the grout so this doesn't happen again?

Cheers
:)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back