Loose wire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have had 2 boiler engineers out to fix our Potterton Puma 80e which has been working intermittently. It is still failing to work sometimes and having taken the cover off and had a quick look, we have realised that the cause of our problems is a loose wire on the PCB (if you move the wires around a bit there is a spark behind the panel and the mains light comes on, which it was failing to do, and the system fires up).
All I want to know is, what kind of job will be required to fix/replace this wire? eg will we need a new PCB/new wire/etc.
I want to get more information so that when we get someone else in to fix it, I'll know if what they are saying is accurate!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
the spark is on the top left, yes?
it's easily repaired by someone who's competent with a soldering iron unless the board is burnt away too much (from what you've written it doesn't sound like it)
you'll have to remove the pcb to find out. if you remove the bottom panel from the boiler you can swing down the small control pcb panel then (with the electricity off) pull the molex plugs off the pcb and remove the 4 small screws to lif it clear. hold your breath and turn the pcb over. repair the pcb and reassemble (look for other poor joints as well and resolder them whilst you're on). the plugs will only go back on the pcb one way. if you get stuck on puttinng them back email Me and i'll mail you back a wire colour/corresponding pcb connection diagram.

oh yeah, you can breathe out now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back