Potterton Suprima 30 - to replace or not????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have had a problem with my Potterton Suprima 30 for the last couple of years. Sometimes it works, most of the time it doesnt. It sounds like the PCB problem that others have had, but we have other problems such as radiators leaking from valves - the house is only about 6 years old.

We also suffer from low water pressure, meaning our shower is rubbish and are therefore thinking about getting a combi boiler installed to fix all of our problems (we hope).

I realise we can get our current boiler repaired, but we really are sick and want rid of it.

Will a combi be much better for us - i.e. is it worth spending the money???

Cheers :)

Sponsored Links
Combi boiler in my view will be useless if you have low water pressure.

See this previous post regarding people opinion on combi

The shower water doesn't come from the mains!

Before fitting a combi you do need to get your supply pressure and flow checked though. If the pressure's ok you'd get a good shower. Must be a small abode so a combi 's other shortcomings probably wouldn't be a big problem. You would need a new gas pipe to the boiler though.

You rad vakve leaking problem would be much worse! If they're that bad and can't be tightened around the centre shaft to stop them, change them. I get mine for £1.80 and they're all pre-tested to 10 bar.

You might be able to get the pcb going by resoldering/ cleaning as mentioned elsewhere, otherwise they are expensive, unless you go for a backstreet rebotched one. You will gain the space in the airing cupd with a combi of course. Smallest combis are 700 x 400 x 300 - quite tall with pipes underneath.

System clean, old tank out, combi in = best part of £2k, depending where you are - and wait till next June!

Thanks for the advice!

I had a heating company out last night and they said my water pressure is fine (4-5 bar) - the only reason the shower is rubbish is because the hot water tank is at the same level as the shower.

He said a combi would improve this problem, and fitting thermostatic valves to the radiators would solve my leaking problem.

We have chosen Valliant Ecomax condensing boiler, which together with the other work will cost me £1,800 - a whole £1,000 cheaper than my quote from British Gas.

Any advice on this boiler before I go ahead would be appreciated!

Sponsored Links
JulesT said:
the only reason the shower is rubbish is because the hot water tank is at the same level as the shower.

It got nothing to do with your hot water cylinder being on the same level as your shower, it all to do with water head height which came from the cold storage tank above.I get a good shower with my cylinder on the same floor level and cold feed above is only 3 foot !

If I not read your quote right then ignore above :)

It is the height of the cold water tank which matters; if you have a single-floor flat then you need a pump for a decent shower which can tricky. Opinions vary - but all agree that a combi-provided shower is fine - as long as nobody turns on another tap. 28kW is noticeably better than 24kW.

"and fitting thermostatic valves to the radiators would solve my leaking problem.
"
He's selling you a line, mate. TRV's only go on one end of the rads. Valves do not have to be thermostatic to not leak!

If your gas use is low you will take a long time to get back the extra cost of a condensing boiler - so be clear on you motives.

Vaillants are good boilers.

If the system is not flushed properly though you will trash it though like any other combi.

My radiators are only leaking from one side - i.e. where the replacement valve will be fitted - it seems the whole heating system was a bit of a botch when installed.

The engineer reckoned my system would not need a powerflush as it is only 6 years old - does this sound correct?

To be honest we feel it is worth spending the money to ensure that we will have a warm house in the winter when we get home from work!!!

If I was you I would get another 2 more quotes, even better recommended by friend etc...........

Sorry to say this,there're a lot of cowboy plumber's out there.I'm not saying this one is but get a 2nd opinion.

"it seems the whole heating system was a bit of a botch when installed.

The engineer reckoned my system would not need a powerflush as it is only 6 years old - does this sound correct? "

What do you reckon - NO!!!

If flux is left in a new system they're sludged up and rusty inside within months. I've seen new rads rust through in a year, others will tell you 6 months. You might never notice it with a conventional system, but combis have hot water (for the taps) heat exchangers which clog up badly, flow switches and diverter valves which get attacked etc.

Air gets into open systems like yours through the header tank - I'm assuming it isn't a pressurised system. The water goes up and down as it heats and cools so the new oxygen gets distributed. Inhibitor would have helped - but if the installer was saving a few quid you won't have any.

So it's a risk. It's pretty obvious once flushing is commenced, to tell if the system is good or bad - I charge accordingly. Some sytems need a whole day's work. You can get test kits but they all tend to show up "bad", not surprisingly.

First look in the headr tank - should be pristine, anything else is dire.
Find a system drain point, connect a hose and let the water run out (going over something white) for say 10 minutes. Crude but it'll give a vague idea. Any sign of black stuff at all and you need a flush. If the water coming out is a bit bubbly that's good - unless the guy just used washing up liquid, !

Check the header tank refills (should only be about 4-5" of water in itwhen it stops filling) OK.

Where are you?

I'm in Newcastle. I've got another couple of quotes next week so I'll see what they recommend.

Think it might be easier to buy a new house ..... :cry:

OK then, I'll sell up and move back with my parents......

Maybe not, think the new boiler would be a better investment!!!! :LOL:

JulesT said:

NO !! as masona might have said... they have more faults than you REMEMBER!

ChrisR said:
JulesT said:

NO !! as masona might have said... they have more faults than you REMEMBER!

but at least you dont have to buy toothpaste and bog roll eh? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Hi all

Just wanted to thank you all for your advice - I had a (Vaillant Turboplus 828) combi boiler installed on Monday, it was money well spent (when they ask for the money that is)!!

We have enjoyed hot radiators, hot (powerful) showers and no leaking radiator valves!!!!

Bye bye Suprima 30, you won't be missed!

Thanks again :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back