Losing pressure and hot water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Boiler: Viessmann Vitodens 200
Installed: Approx 3 years ago

I'm hoping someone can provide some help that I'm having with my boiler. It's got 3 major issues as far as I can see:

1. Filling loop problem

When topping up the boiler I open up the right switch which I assume is the one connected to the boiler and it starts to leak badly). I open the one on the left and the cold feed comes through which tops up the system to about 1.7bar and I close both vavlues again

2. Loss of hot water

The hot water never stays hot, it goes hot then cold, then hot then cold again. Reading on this forum I was wondering if it could be a thermistor issue? However I'm wondering if the fact I'm having to top the pressure now every week could have scaled up the heat exchanger? I can really hear the unit rattle now when I turn on the hot tap and it tries to boil the ater....

3. Loss of pressure

The system would lose pressure about once a month, dropping to 0.5 bar and flashing it's red light. In the last month or so this has dropped to once a week. And I've also noticed sometimes that when it loses the pressure the copper pipe outside has a pool of water underneath it.

So it looks like I have a few problems....

With regards to the hot water I'm guessing the heating unit could be blocked due to constant fresh water being pumped into it due to the loss of pressure? The loop leak wuoldn't cause the loss of pressure though would it if it's closed? The pressure loss seems to happen during the night, could it be when the timer kicks in at say 5am and the boiler gets too hot that it dumps it's pressure?

I'm not too clued up to be honest and will hopefully be phoning the Viessmann helpddesk soemtime tonight. I was just wondering what anyone else thought?

Thanks for reading.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back