losing pressure on combi!! please help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there
im having a problem with my combi. all was fine ie pressure constant at 1 bar for years. woke up this morning to find the combi wouldnt fire, and pressure was down to 0 . i reset the combi,filled the pressure back to 1 bar. i have checked all rad valves for leakage and all joints round the rads.
I have assumed that there is no leak from upstairs as the ceilings are not wet. I have had the floorboard up on 4 of the rads and can see no evidence of leak on any pipework there. The other rads i can get to under the floor as we have laminate flooring.
The pressure is still dropping slightly and has been topped up.
Im thinking of putting in some of that fernox leak sealer, is this a good idea or could it be something else.
anyone got any ideas please??/

Sponsored Links
the presure never goes above 1.9 bar when the heating is on.
could the prv be the cause of a small pressure loss??

Sponsored Links
just followed outlet from prv and its in the waste pipe from the sink. theres been a hole drilled and its just pushed in and siliconed in place. took it out of the hole and watched it for the last 5-10 mins and seen no water leaking from it.
i have now put some tissue under it to see if any water is coming out at all

been checking prv for an hour now and no leaking is evident from it. could something be wrong with the expansion vessel?/

think i might try some of that leak sealer , see if that cures the problem!!
does it work on small leaks which this one appears to be??

So if I had a broken leg, I should take pain killers.

You have a leak. What magnitude? Have never liked these leak sealers and have never had to use one yet. What is the leak sealer plugs up a hole that needs to stay open to atmosphere?

If you are having to top up every hour or so, you will see wetness

If you top up the boiler every fortnight, leak will be minute. You will not have wetness but by looking for residues, it is possible to effect a cure.

Additional info would help

auto air vent on the 240 can leak within the combustion case without leaving poodles on the floor.

I've got a similar problem with my Vokera combi - everything was working fine (accept the banging CH pipes which kevplumb helped me out with...cheers!!) during the summer, but since the CH started on a timed setting it occasionally does not fire in the morning because of (apparently) not enough pressure. However when I add a tiny bit of water the pressure rockets up to 2 bar (from normal operating of 1-1.5 bar). I've got a Vokera engineer coming out on Friday, I'll let you know - he thinks its a dodgy pressure sensor (?).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back