Loss of boiler pressure to zero

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Viessmann 35kw combi boiler with built in 40 litre storage tank, installed and fitted in Feb of this year. Had 3 additional radiators and 2 towel radiators added to the system in Sept as part of an extension build and part renovation of existing house.

Boiler pressure has been dropping from 1.5 bar to zero once or twice a day since we started using the heating in Oct. Homeserve came around and said its a boiler issue as I have a total of 14 radiators/towel radiators on the system and the boiler's pressure relief / expansion tank is insufficiently sized and need to get a new external vessel fitted. The next day I had Viessmann come and they checked the boiler thoroughly and said Homeserve was wrong and its not a boiler issue i.e. no water released in the PRV and that the internal expansion vessel is fine and can handle the 14 radiators - the expansion vessel also registered 0.8 bar.

Builders have come back to check the pipes and cannot locate any leaks in the new GF extension area or where we added new radiators. We have not seen any leaks on the first or second floor.

I have a leak detection company coming around on Mon am (covered through insurance), but Im just wondering if we've missed anything here.

I have to top up from zero pressure to about 1.5 bar at least once a day, but more likely twice a day. have tried using liquid that seals any leaks, but no use and that will have been diluted now due to the top ups. Could adding another expansion vessel really help and should I ignore what the viessman service engineer said? Problem is the condensing pipe is behind feeds a waste pipe behind the washing machine so I cannot determine if any excess pressure from the boiler is being released into it - but the viessman guy said that nothing was dripping when he was testing it with the heating system on (he opened the valve or top of condensing pipe from inside the boiler.

Sponsored Links
Easy to establish if loss is from boiler .Turn off heating late tonight and allow an hour to cool. Electrically isolate boiler. Ensure system pressure is 1.5 bar. Close flow and return valves on boiler. Leave overnight. In the morning see if pressure has dropped to zero ,if it has the water loss is from the boiler. If pressure has not dropped ,open the flow and return valves ,if it then drops the leak is on system.
Top up pressure and put electric supply back on and ensure the valves are open to put boiler back into use.

he couldnt have tested the heat exchanger passing into the condensate with the heating on, it has to be done with everything off, but saying that the Viessmann heat exchangers are pretty reliable, the boiler wont thank you for putting leak sealer in though

Sponsored Links
modern boilers dont like it, I never have and never would use it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back