Loss of HD channels on Freeview.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Since adding my soundbar, (maybe even before as not really tried it before) I seem to have lost all HD channels on Freeview on my Panasonic TV. Only settings I made were changing the speaker output from TV to Home theatre. I tried retuning the channels but that made no difference. No channels are showing on the guide from 101 to 199 on Freeview - if I try to choose any channel in the 100+ range, I get an 'invalid channel' message. The other TV upstairs still has the HD channels. When checking the signal on most channels, I’m getting around 80% of signal quality and 0% of signal strength. Any ideas what could be causing this?

Sponsored Links
Unplug the sound bar from the power socket.

Now go to your aerial cables. If they're the molded type, unplug and reconnect. If they're ones with the DIY-fit coax plugs, check the fitting of the plug to the cable.

Next, go online and find out which your local transmitter is and what RF channel or frequency is used for your HD muxes.

Do a manual tune just for the affected muxes. if there's enough signal then they'll tune in and add themselves to the existing channel rosta. But where there's still a problem with them then at least you won't lose your SD channels.

Channel lose can vmbe cause by lots of issues. Where some new bit of gear has been introduced, it could be something as simple as disturbing the cables which is enough to tip the balance on something that's already close to marginal.

Poorly shielded fly leads can be a surprising weak point. Those molded ones that used to come free with VCRs and that can be bought cheapish front supermarkets and corner shops are a bit of a liability with digital TV signals. They're also prone to breaking at the solder joint in the plug ends. Because it's all shrouded in plastic you can't tell, and it can get just a hairline fracture where you get some channels but not all. Give the cables a wiggle when in manual tuning mode to see if the signal level fluctuates.

Another cause for signal anomalies is interference from modern power supplies known as swith mode power supplies. Better quality coax fly leads will generally help or even completely cure that.

Sponsored Links
Poorly shielded fly leads can be a surprising weak point. Those molded ones that used to come free with VCRs and that can be bought cheapish front supermarkets and corner shops are a bit of a liability with digital TV signals. They're also prone to breaking at the solder joint in the plug ends. Because it's all shrouded in plastic you can't tell, and it can get just a hairline fracture where you get some channels but not all. Give the cables a wiggle when in manual tuning mode to see if the signal level fluctuates.

ITV started playing up too. I gave the fly lead a wiggle and repositioned it and everything is working now - HD channels and full signal quality. I've ordered a new shielded fly lead - 24k gold plated ends of course. :whistle: Thanks. (y)

Last edited:
ITV started playing up too. I gave the fly lead a wiggle and repositioned it and everything is working now - HD channels and full signal quality. I've ordered a new shielded fly lead - 24k gold plated ends of course. :whistle: Thanks. (y)

Oh God, why?

A bit of aerial coax and a couple of coax plugs is all you really needed.

Oh God, why?

A bit of aerial coax and a couple of coax plugs is all you really needed.
Just a joke about the gold. Just a case of laziness and no coax or ends verses £6.99 and Amazon next day delivery really. :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back