Lost hot water and heating this evening!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

We had a Grant 15/21 'Utility' oil fired condensing system boiler with a
standard flue pluming kit and 'Magnaclean' system cleaner fitted on the 13th March 2012. It was serviced last year and its been great all over the winter.

We had out tank filled yesterday but the heating has been working last night and today but this afternoon both the heating and hot water stopped working.

Despite sounding on and being set to 'on' the radiators do not get warm ditto for the hot water.

Anyone have any ideas? I have emailed my plumber but I wondered if there is anything else I can do in the meantime. We have an electric showing and some plug in radiators so we can survive but I would like to sort it out as soon as possible.

Cheers
Rossco

Sponsored Links
When you say "sounding on" I assume you mean the boiler is firing OK and no lockout occurring?

Thats right, the boiler fires up, or appears to. I have tried again this morning but no heat emerging. I don't know whether i may be causing damage doing this so have switched off again.

I don't think a lockout is occuring.

As I say, there is a 'click' every twenty seconds or so, but I am not sure what it is.

You might have an airlock in the fuel line. Or, is it a sealed system ? If so have you checked the pressure ?

Sponsored Links
Now I have to admit my knowledge becomes a little vague at this points so please forgive me....

In terms of a sealed system, I believe it is. Its not a combi, I have a water tank upstairs and a filler tank in the loft.

I don't believe I have anyway of telling the pressure, no obvious dials or gauges.

How do I tell if I have an airlock in the fuel line? Would the boiler 'fire up' if that was the case?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back