Gas boiler heating radiators, but no hot water.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We had the boiler serviced in September, everything was working fine, nothing needed fixing. We don't use much hot water and hadn't had the heating on since last winter, but had no problems when it was all checked. We then went on holiday and turned everything off. On returning we put the heating on, but found we had no hot water. Radiators are fine and if we turn the hot water on, it heats the radiators well, but we have no hot water. We get a little cold, followed by a few seconds of tepid water and then it runs cold again (but not quite as cold as the cold tap). The pipes around the hot water tank feel hot and the thermostat hasn't been turned down at all. We have had the hot water turned on for a full day in the hope of heating the whole tank, but to no avail. Any thoughts would be appreciated please. It's not a combi boiler as far as I know, just a gas boiler that is about 8/9 years old.

Sponsored Links
Does the boiler fire up when programmer set on hot water only , if not faulty 2 or 3 port valve

The only way to help you is if you give as much info as you can about the other controls on your system.Boiler,airing cupboard setup, timer etc.Saves a lot of guesswork and misleading info.

Sponsored Links
I'll do what I can, really don't understand it all though.

The boiler is an Ideal Classic, was fitted a few years before we moved in, we've been here 5 1/2yrs and we've had no problems before now. It was re-sited 5yrs ago.

The airing cupboard has the hot water tank and digital controls, the heating is set to come on morning and evening and the hot water set to come on in the morning (same time as heating) for about an hour. We've tried leaving it on all day, with and without the heating.

The thermostat is in the hall, we have the heating set to about 16c roughly. We had the heating off and hot water on today and the thermometer in the kitchen (cooler part of the house to the hall generally) was reading about 17c, with the radiators being heated by the hot water. The taps are running as in my first post.

You have motorised valve issues and if you could post a pic of those it would help,But a good heating eng would sort yhat in no time.

I'll snap some pics in the airing cupboard tomorrow, any help would be great. We'd love to sort this ourselves if possible, have been holding off finding an engineer while we save some money!
Thank you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back