Potterton Back Boiler has hot radiators but no hot water

Sponsored Links
Problem being plumbingservices doesn't grasp how a blocked feed and expansion pipe could stop the hot water from heating via the coil/annular. ;)

Totally. I held the olive branch. He slapped it back and still has no idea what he's talking about. Just another box slinger I'm a shiny van and no desire to learn.

Learning from the old farts is part of the fun. Yoof of today can't take a bit of stick and think they know it all.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all the comments.

I have been looking at it again, and perhaps optimistically.

However I am thinking if the hot feed pipe into the tank is really hot, and I mean right onto the tank, and the tank is sort of tepid. Does this suggest that the tank itself is simply full of limescale, thus blocking off? Coz if it was working a month ago.

I am also wondering if anyone can recommend me a guy localish to Barnsley?

It suggests very much like a blocked feed. Ignore this other doughnut (who conveniently forgot to post on this thread yesterday despite posting in his own thread, asking basic questions :LOL:).

If you look closely at my pictures you'll see a tiny whole in the centre that allows a smidgen of water through.

Ok, thanks.

I do apreciate your help.

Shame you are not in Barnsley. :)

I had been avoiding this thread because there was so much arguing but that has now largely subsided.

Plumbingservices, why don't we see you in the CC part of the site?

I have to say that I was sceptical of a blocked feed pipe because the top pipe of the heating coil was very hot.

The OP has proved that the feed pipe is NOT blocked because after bleeding rads it has refilled ( as I expected ).

So my expectation is that the heating coil on the cylinder is blocked.

But it can also be a blockage anywhere on the hot water supply loop.

So I would be partially draining and then disconnecting the top cylinder coil and seeing if its blocked there.

If not then the bottom coil connection. And blowing or pouring water through the coil to properly test it if its not blocked there.

Tony

I'd go +1 with Dan & the rest,choked cold feed on the coil return if that's were it t's into...
Enough to stop flow through the coil , I'm sure you'll find in a month or 2 if left you'll have a total blockage and the system won't fill ..

Thanks for all the replies.

I have a bloke coming all the way from Sheffield, he reckons I may need a new boiler. If he says so, I will find another guy for a 2nd opinion.

I will of course report back on what cures it all.

As no-one on here reckons the potterton is knackered, that's the last thing I will accept as his diagnosis.

Thanks again. :)

Sounds like he just wants to fit a new boiler for you!

If I was you then I would exclude boiler installers like him and look for a proper engineer.

The correct person will be opening up the pipework and looking for blockages like the photos above.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back