Potterton Back Boiler has hot radiators but no hot water

Ok, the guy came from Sheffield today. He concentrated on the tank area, and said it was possibly a blockage in the internal coil. He took the top off the pump and said that should have been pouring out, all he got was a drip.

He reckons that what we need is a powerflush and a magna clean filter, at £450.

He said as these hot water tanks were now rare, they were rather expensive. So if the blockage was not removable then by the time we had the tank done, we should be thinking of having the boiler replaced for a modern one at £2250 after the cost of the powerflush.

He added that there was a 75% chance that the problems would be sorted by a power flush. But he later said that if the problem had gone downhill over a few weeks, it was probably not flushable.

He did seem very knowledgeable, and helpful, but I can’t help thinking I am being sold a new system.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like he just wants to fit a new boiler for you!

If I was you then I would exclude boiler installers like him and look for a proper engineer.

The correct person will be opening up the pipework and looking for blockages like the photos above.

Tony

Sounds like what I had anticipated has happened!

So he did not open up the cylinder heating coil?

Unless he used acid for the power flush I would not expect it to fully cure the blockage. But acid would seriously risk causing leaks!

Tony

You are the one that made a dick of himself. I would also judge you to be the first to be "out of line" first. Principally in the post I have conveniently quoted above.

Now how long have you been working in the trade? Genuine question.

O,k didn`t mean to be a dick, sorry, apprentice plumber at 16, now 29, gas qualified 3 years ago. It still wasn`t a blocked cold feed on a potterton back boiler because the tenant proved it by bleeding his rads, answer that Obi Wan Knanobhead :LOL: Smell my cheese you Mother!

I'm with you plumpingservices. These lot haven't got a brain between them.
You sound very knowledgable mate and I haven't even read all your posts. Must say it's had me laughing out loud.
:mrgreen:

Sponsored Links
This was Bambergastwart again Jeff.

It's actually quite sad that somebody's life is that empty and meaningless that they have to repeatedly create online profiles and troll forums.

Budget cuts must be having a more extreme effect on care in the community thank thought.

Esky, get hold of a small magnet, offer it to the pipe along entire length as well as the tee, that is getting hot as well as the return pipe. Where the magnet sticks to the pipe is where I would be investigating.

Area I would be concentrating on initially is the tee where the 15 mm pipe from the header tank, cylinder and boiler connect

Fact that pipe get hot indicates ( some) flow exists hence hot pipe, but volume lacking hence water stays tepid. Check water level in the header tank also

Esky, get hold of a small magnet, offer it to the pipe along entire length as well as the tee, that is getting hot as well as the return pipe. Where the magnet sticks to the pipe is where I would be investigating.

Area I would be concentrating on initially is the tee where the 15 mm pipe from the header tank, cylinder and boiler connect

Fact that pipe get hot indicates ( some) flow exists hence hot pipe, but volume lacking hence water stays tepid. Check water level in the header tank also

+1

OP: Also been avoiding getting involved in this nonsense. An apprentice 2 weeks in would have suggested at least investigating a blocked feed. Did your Sheffield guy actually look at the feed connection. Is it an H type arrangement of pipework or a can shaped device known as an air seperator?.
As suggested more than once, find a magnet and start checking.

If the Sheffield guy did not investigate the feed, then bin him. Tony is wrong in agreeing with plumbingidiotservices - a feed can be blocked enough to prevent circulation while allowing water to pass to refill system, albeit more slowly.

To the idiot: Do you actually get paid for messing about with gas and water?. Have you never noticed that a cylinder is almost always higher than the radiators?

Hi again, we are now sorted. :)

WE got a second opinion, and he spent a lot longer investigating our system. He used a magnet as described above and found a blockage.

He cleaned out that bit of pipe work and said that would do us for a while at least, but it would likely reform as the system was a poor conversion from a gravity feed system, and the pipework was not very efficient, and the run needed changing.

If the problem returns, that should be our next plan of work.

The blockage was in the cold feed, and as best as I can tell, it was where DP described it.

So

I would like to thanks all you guys that took the time to reply. The first guy wanted £3-3,500 to replace the boiler, and do a power flush. The repair cost me £65 plus tip.

Had you not been here for me, we could easily have accepted that the first guy knew what he was talking about.

You have saved me over £3,000. :)

Women and plumbers, eh? ;)

RedDwarfWomensTshirt_KrytenSmugMode_Black_CU_4.jpg

Dan, Seeing as though the f and e is only to top up heating and hot water is maintained thru heating coil how would blocked cold feed affect hot water wouldn`t it affect his heating? Only asking cos I can`t get me head around it being cold feed blockage by the way. :( Poster, bleed one of your radiators, probably one with air in somewhere, if they refill you don`t have a blocked cold feed.

I can't believe plumbing services got it wrong. He seems such an authority.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back