No hot water flowing in system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a minor leak in hot water pipe in bathroom and so turned off the hot water stopcock in airing cupboard. However once turned back on I briefly had hot water until everything stopped suddenly. The hot water tank and radiators don't heat up at all but the pilot light under the gas fire is lit and flares up when heating is switched on. Cold water is fine. Any ideas very much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Can't really make head/tail of your post.

so turned off the hot water stopcock in airing cupboard
Take it you mean the red handle gate valve on the supply to the cylinder.

The hot water tank and radiators don't heat up at
This has nohing to do with isolating the hot water.

flares up when heating is switched on
Take you mean the main burner comes on
so the rads should heat up.

More info on your system or some pics.

Sorry, no idea on plumbing as you can tell.

My point is simply that since turning the red handle gate valve back on the we have had no water flowing at all from hot taps and the tank is not heating up and neither are the radiators (apart from those few minutes).

As for the system, we have a back boiler and the cold water tank is in the loft which presumably supplies the hot water tank in in airing cupboard directly below it.

If you have no water flow at all from the hot tap then more likely the gate valve has jammed or snapped. quite common fault.
does the red handle just keep turning ?

But this has nothing to do with your boiler not firing up and heating the rads/hw

Sponsored Links
Cheers for that.

The red handle dosen't keep turning and the boiler does flare up when heating is switched on it's just that I don't think there is any water flowing full stop as you can usually here water rushing into the rads and there is none. It's as if something has completely stopped all water flowing so there is nothing to heat up.

I think it's time to turn to the yellow pages :confused:

Check the tank in the loft has got water in.
the small f/e tank.
check the pump is running when heating on.

the hot tap situation maybe you have an airlock in the pipework.

If you have only 1 water tank in the loft, you may have a primatic system. This means you will have to bleed the Central heating system to remove the air.

It could be an air lock due to badly installed pipe work at the cylinder.

Usually cleared by back flushing with cold mains.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back