Lost Wet Edge - Options ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am painting some fascia boards with a tower for access rather than ladders, however, when moving the tower along to paint the next section of fascia I have lost the wet edge due to the time it takes to move the tower. Unfortunately the tower is not on wheels but free standing with outriggers.

Would anyone please be able to advise me the best way to paint up to a lost wet edge. At the moment it is not critical as it is the 1st coat of undercoat and some of the painting will later be obscured by guttering. However, at a later stage I will be painting some wide window frames using the tower where the paintwork is more visible.

Any advice most appreciated.

Rgds
Jack

Sponsored Links
Providing the undercoat is dry enough to accept abrasion a light sanding of the edge would offer you a uniform finish, with regard to future applications you may wish to consider the use of Owatrol for oil/solvent borne systems and Floetrol for water based. These are paint conditioners that greatly extend the open time of paint systems without causing any ill effects to either paint or substrate.

Dec

TheDec,

Ah, forgot about the Owatrol and I have a can of it in the loft which will be OK for my oil based undercoat/ final coat. Thx for the reminder and the tip about the light abrasion.

Rgds
Jack

Sponsored Links
TheDec,

One question about the Owatrol, will it cause the paint to thin enough so that it sags? For the fascias my brushstrokes are horizontal, if I add the Owatrol is then any chance of the paint sagging? I suppose it is a question of balance, wet edge time vs potential to sag?

Rgds
Jack

The adding of Owatrol will not only extend the open time but will also greatly improve it's flow, and in my opinion would decrease the chances of the paint sagging.

Dec

Why not just use a ladder with a stand-off? You'll get the whole length done in 20 mins. It takes up to an hour to shift a tower without wheels so you'll still get problems even with additives.

Why not just use a ladder with a stand-off? You'll get the whole length done in 20 mins. It takes up to an hour to shift a tower without wheels so you'll still get problems even with additives.

joe-90,

My inexperience is showing here, what is a "stand-off", is it a ladder with some braces either side at the top and bottom?

Rgds
Jack

Jack,

A stand off is secured to the ladder in order to offer better access in certain situations, if you were to google these up you will find an array of choices that may be of use to you.

Dec

TheDec, joe-90,

OK, understood now, my local screwfix has some in stock for £25 so I will give these a go.

Thx for the help, most appreciated

Rgds
Jack

Hi,

I am painting some fascia boards with a tower for access rather than ladders, however, when moving the tower along to paint the next section of fascia I have lost the wet edge due to the time it takes to move the tower. Unfortunately the tower is not on wheels but free standing with outriggers.

Would anyone please be able to advise me the best way to paint up to a lost wet edge. At the moment it is not critical as it is the 1st coat of undercoat and some of the painting will later be obscured by guttering. However, at a later stage I will be painting some wide window frames using the tower where the paintwork is more visible.

Any advice most appreciated.

Rgds
Jack
What I do is make the wet edge under a gutter bracket - it kind of looses the join ;) And for large ( wide) windows I`ve got an extendable standoff with roller wheels on each end so it can span a big `60s. picture window - bought the beast @ an auction for £10 ;) there may be a similar thing at a hire centre

What I do is make the wet edge under a gutter bracket.....

Very enterprising, I like it.

Rgds
Jack

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back