Lots and lots of tiny LEDs running off the mains!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys

i want to make a sort of starfield on the ceiling of a room using small electronics LEDs. string them all together and plug em in! :)

so if i were to string all the leds into a circuit and have a positive and negative from the setup would i just need to connect this to the right transformer?

i would like to eventually connect this up to a light sensor (LDR) circuit so it all comes on in the dark.

any ideas?

thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
any ideas?

Stop smoking that funny stuff :eek:

It might sound like a nice idea, but what do you think it will do to the value of the property ??

When and if you ever sell, your end up having to take them out and re-board / and plaster & decorate the ceiling.

Something like this ??

starkit_pic.jpg

stardeck_kit_pic.jpg

see http://www.ledlightingproducts.co.uk/fibre optic.htm

they are fibre optic rather than LED

*puts spliff out... cough

how did you know???

seriously though. it wouldn't be a permo fixture but standalone hopefully made out of a light weight sheet like foamboard or somehting similar which i would screw in.

i'll take a ganders at the website

cheers fella

Great thing about optics over LED is that the leads between light point and source of light (normally very high powered LED's) don't carry power and have a decent amount of flexibility.

The board idea sounds sensible :LOL:

Sponsored Links
I thought of doing something similar in my daughters room, but using a set of christmas lights and poking them through little holes.

yeah thats the kinda thing.

it would be great if i could string lots of these cheap electronics LEDs together and poke them thru some foamboard.

i wanted to have a go at some electronics too and include a light sensor etc. maybe it would be best to go down the battery powered route with a light sensor.

ha ha very funny

im sure it would only take 1 coin cell battery per foamboard. im not thinking large scale here boys and girls.

looks like i've posted on the wrong forum...... :p

Hows about 360 bulbs for £16.50 + vat

you'd need a bit of patience

DT941.JPG

MDF sheet, 11mm x 1200 x 2400, Paint the finish side first. Then drill 360 holes with a suitable drill. Set the bulbs in with a drop of no nails and hang!

Spec

8 pre-programmed sequences
Controller suitable for positioning outdoors
Lead to first light: 10 mts
First to last light: 10 mts
Between drops: 10cm
Fixed, vibration and shock-proof lamps
Sequence controller with memory retention providing pre-programmed flashing light sequences including: Waving, Slow Glow, Twinkle/Flash, Steady glow

Supplier TLC, but this time of year your spoilt for choice :LOL:

brilliant post. cheers dude!

i think fairy lights has to be the kiddy. hceap and already set up. plus you get the different modes. nice one chris5

ps. do you have a link for TLC? who are they?

ha ha very funny

im sure it would only take 1 coin cell battery per foamboard. im not thinking large scale here boys and girls.

looks like i've posted on the wrong forum...... :p
seriously, batteries and lots of leds will cost you a fortune in the long run.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back