LED lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking to put some led lights into the recess of our rooflight. I have a couple of questions.

Is there a minimum clearance for LED like halogen? I know that LED doesnt get hot so was hoping not.

Second question. All of the led kits i have found have a three pin plug connected to them. Is it ok to cut this off and wire into the ligtining circuit via the transformer that will be supplied.

Third question. Are yhe bigger LED downlighters dimmable as I was also thinking of putting some in the ceiling

Help appreciated

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Is there a minimum clearance for LED like halogen? I know that LED doesnt get hot so was hoping not.

Yes there is. Check with the manufacturers. It might be less than halogen.

Second question. All of the led kits i have found have a three pin plug connected to them. Is it ok to cut this off and wire into the ligtining circuit via the transformer that will be supplied.

Yes that is an option, but generally the kits are rubbish. You want to be looking at something like the halers H2 LED downlighters.

Third question. Are yhe bigger LED downlighters dimmable as I was also thinking of putting some in the ceiling

Some are some are not. Dimmable LEDs are usually more expensive, and will often require you to use a specific type of dimmer to dim them.

Pick up 1 MR16 6-9watt LED downlight for testing ..and test in each fitting, old transformer fittings will work 100%, later switchmode transformers. Need a minimum load 20watts + to operate, if use low power LED downlight they may flicker, so good idea to get 1 test LED Light 1st.

Sponsored Links
They do not produce as much heat as incandescent lamps, but they are extremely intolerant of it, and it must be got rid of or the LEDs will fail.

So pay close attention to the clearances the makers specify, requirements for keeping any cooling fins free of insulation etc.

Also beware of cutting holes in ceiling/roof insulation.

So the kits come with power supplies with trailing flexes with a plug on the end? Not wall-wart power supplies?

There are some power supplies for led lights that are about the same size as a normal 13 amp plug. ( they are cheap and nasty and probably high risk of failure or hazard ) Would be easy to assume these were normal plugs and that the current / voltage regulation was in the lamp itself.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back