LED lights to light switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Question about under cabinet led lights.

Firstly the scenario:
I have a new kitchen and the electrician installed downlighters which are operated via 1 switch on a 2 gang switch on the wall.
The cable from the second switch runs to the wall cabinets ready to accept the connection of the under cabinet lights.

And the question:
Can the cable be wired straight into the transformer/driver to run the led lights from the wall switch, or is there anything additional required?

Examples of what I have in mind:
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/91795...-LED-Striplight-Cabinet-Light-Contractor-Kit#
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/55174...Pack-of-3;jsessionid=O1OW5ZMCKZULACSTHZOSFFI#

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
All the switch wire does is switch a live feed.

So the transformer / wall wart (socket) transformer live is removed sent up the switch cable on the brown and back from the switch on the switched live blue (with brown sleeving to id as s/live)

It depends how many of the kits you are going to use but they look as though you will be able to connect to the first transformer & then looop to the next. If more than one cable cannot physically be terminated in the t/x, then you will need a small junction box.

So the transformer / wall wart (socket) transformer live is removed sent up the switch cable on the brown and back from the switch on the switched live blue (with brown sleeving to id as s/live)
I would have thought an electrician would have connected it so that the blue was neutral return.

Sponsored Links

I would have thought an electrician would have connected it so that the blue was neutral return.

What gives you that idea, where is the neutral returning from?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back