Lots of wood ?rafters in loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I have looked and can’t see this is covered anywhere. Though it could be because I’m not sure of the terms.
We’d love to do something with our loft to make it more usable. I’ve been googling and it’s not a regular loft conversion job.
Years ago the house was an end terrace. Then another house was built on the side making ours a mid terrace. It seems that they extended the roof taking away the ‘hip’ and making it sort of like a gable but obviously without the end as there’s now another house there.
In the loft though it looks like all the old wood and supports have been left in place. So there’s supports for the old roof and supports for the new roof.
My question is, is the old supports actually likely to still be supporting? Or could they easily be taken out?
Totally not attempting this ourselves but curious if this is a huge job or if builders were just making it cheaper when done and leaving excess wood?

Many thanks!
Helium

Sponsored Links
Who knows without knowing more details about your particular roof construction :?::!:

Who knows without knowing more details about your particular roof construction :?::!:
Many thanks Leofric, what details would be useful? I apologise I have very very little knowledge of this area.

If you can provide a photo(s) of the roof timbers it might be clearer what was done.(obviously)

Sponsored Links
Have tried to upload photos / video. Not sure if this will work A’s still getting used to forum use.

Attachments

• 12065952-D349-411A-94DA-5E9B38A856DF.jpeg
    12065952-D349-411A-94DA-5E9B38A856DF.jpeg
    264.4 KB · Views: 340
  • 34C9DA38-8306-4ADA-A0F1-CAD63712E098.jpeg
    34C9DA38-8306-4ADA-A0F1-CAD63712E098.jpeg
    291.9 KB · Views: 315
  • 521EDB48-B7A2-4607-A9CB-D36853B93290.jpeg
    521EDB48-B7A2-4607-A9CB-D36853B93290.jpeg
    232 KB · Views: 320
If you can provide a photo(s) of the roof timbers it might be clearer what was done.(obviously)
Think I’ve managed it. It’s lovely to find a helpful forum.
In the last photo I’ve noticed it looks like someone previously has simply just cut a plank of wood out... to be able to get the ladder to fit.

My question is, is the old supports actually likely to still be supporting? Or could they easily be taken out?
They have just built the new roof off the existing hipped roof construction which is supporting the new roof. You will need building regulations approval
for a loft conversion and the structural alterations to the roof timbers ,
a structural engineer's input will be necessary anyway and they will design the new roof structure.

Think I’ve managed it. It’s lovely to find a helpful forum.
In the last photo I’ve noticed it looks like someone previously has simply just cut a plank of wood out... to be able to get the ladder to fit.

You definitely need a structural engineer, I can't make out your roof construction type from the photos, but changing a roofs construction type is not trivial, roofs support a lot of weight.

You will need to start again with a full size ridge beam.

The roof will need to be removed at least back to the end of the existing ridge .The new roof could be supported by a ridge beam but see what a structural engineer recommends. Before that , are you sure there is enough headroom for a loft conversion :?:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back