Loud horn noise after unvented cylinder service

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've just had my unvented cylinder serviced and the expansion vessel repressurised (it had lost pressure completely) and I was getting a drip through the tundish. Now the cylinder/expansion vessel makes a really loud and unbearable noise (like a fog horn) everytime we turn the taps on.

Any ideas on what's causing this? I have contacted the plumber who did the service but wanted to get some advice on here too.

Sponsored Links
It is usually down to the EV pre-charge pressure not being correct, does it stop after a bit when running the HW? Can aslo be an issue with the Pressure Reducing Valve, depends where it is vibrating

Sorry for the late reply, the noise stops after a while when the hot water is running. I'd say after 5-10 seconds. Shall I let some air out? Also the EV was taken off and the water was pumped out using a bike pump before it was repressurised if that helps?

Sponsored Links
When the EV was removed and if it had been installed "upside" down with water end on top then the water should have just run out when inverted?.
The pre charge pressure should have been set (pumped) to the PRV pressure - 0.2bar, the PRV is normally set to 3bar so the precharge pressure should be 2.8bar.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back