Vibration noise from pressurised hot water system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I have a Stelflow duplex unvented cylinder, with Zilmet expansion tank. When I turn on a tap or shower, the Zilmet tank emits a loud noise, and vibrates. It has been recently replaced and charged correctly at that time by a good plumber. Anyone know why this noise may occur?

Sponsored Links
Could be a fault with the pressure reducing valve. You will need a G3 qualified plumber to work on unvented systems to take a look to diagnose and repair.

Sponsored Links
Could be a fault with the pressure reducing valve. You will need a G3 qualified plumber to work on unvented systems to take a look to diagnose and repair.

Good point. Spared the background detail earlier. Had an overflow leak initially. Plumber diagnosed failed Zilmet and then the failed pressure reducing valve. Both replaced for new. Only had the noise since then.

Have let out a tiny amount of air from the Zilmet - no more noise!

Shortlived rejoicing. Zilmet was vibrating again the next day. At least it's not as often as previously. Will ask plumber to return. Original plumber had probably not installed correctly, hence no noises, but also had loss of pressure and component failures - he came with my 'expert' builder from Oxford, and probably wasn't qualified to do this type of install . . . . .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back