hot water on then violent vibrating noise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
just moved into the house 4 weeks ago, apparently the house hadn't been lived in for 6 months. its a gravity fed hot water tank system. no combi boiler, no pump.

turned the hot water on, and no hot water, radiators worked, called the plumber out, said their was a blockage in the cold water tank in the loft, removed and hot water started working.
then after 3 weeks a vibrating noise started, looking in the airen cubboard you can hear the vibrating noise coming from one of the pipes which then disappears into the loft. this vibrating noise only happens when you turn the hot water tap on.

additionally as well as this noise problem, all raditors work apart from the one in the living room, temparature gauage doesn't seem to work and just keeps turning and turning, however when you feel the 2 pipes going into the radiator none of them feel hot, thus i wonder if its a problem with the hot water not reaching the radiator, or is it just simply b'cos the radiators turned off.

any help on either problem greatly appricated.

Daz

Sponsored Links
The vibrating noise is water hammer. The float valve supplying the tank feeding your hot water will need rewashering or replacing. Search for the many threads dealing with this for more info.

As for the rad problem, sounds like the TRV (thermostatic Rad. Valve) is stuck shut. If you can take the plastic head off, you will see a pin sticking out. press this in with something strong repeatedly until it starts to move in and out freely. Do not pull it out.

Are you sure there is no pump on the central heating circuit? Very unusual not to have one - perhaps it's under floor or something. Put point of screwdriver against pipework and handle to ear to listen. You should hear the pump running.

The noisy pipes could be the rising water mains to the loft. when you run off some hot water, the mains water fills the storage tank which in turn can cause water hammer if the pipes are not secure. Or if not that try a equilibrium ballvalve which should do the trick.Radiator valves could be the problem. ;)

i've just looked in the airen cubboard as the noise started again, i felt the different pipes until i found the one that was vibrating, once i held it stopped vibrating, but then it felt as if it was vibrating stronger in my hand, when i released my hand it seemed to vibrate even louder.

thanks for your reply, what is water hammer, and what causes it and why does it happen, and any risk of anything band happening? pipes bursting or causing other problems etc....

thanks again!
Daz

Sponsored Links
what is water hammer, and what causes it and why does it happen, and any risk of anything band happening?
As I said, do a search. It's all been explained hundreds of times - we have better things to do than endlessly repeat stuff for people who can't be arsed to search.

As I said, do a search. It's all been explained hundreds of times - we have better things to do than endlessly repeat stuff for people who can't be a***d to search.

thanks chris hut, your suggestion for the radiator has worked, the pin was indeed stuck.

99% of the time i do search for stuff before asking questions, and thats how i found this site, but seeing as we were flowing through a conversation about my problem, i assumed asking some questions regarding the issue was only natural, and normally on other forums people join in and answer questions.

well without further ado i have no hesitation in awarding you the smart arsed, rude plumber of the day award. congradulations chris hut.

thanks, but, no thanks.....

chrishutt said:
what is water hammer, and what causes it and why does it happen, and any risk of anything band happening?
As I said, do a search. It's all been explained hundreds of times - we have better things to do than endlessly repeat stuff for people who can't be a***d to search.

I did a search and got 10538 matches......don't think I could be arsed either.

A search on this site for "water hammer" brings up 102 results, not 10,538. Sounds reasonable to me.

By all means award me smart arsed, rude plumber of the day award (does that mean I have to compete for it again tomorrow?). But I did solve your rad problem :evil: .

chrishutt said:
But I did solve your rad problem :evil: .

Not that I'm aware of chris, but then I haven't been at home much recently :D ....ps. tried again "water hammer" plubing and heating forum only gets me 6570.....must be doing it wrong.

Gents, both of you are correct. :)

It depends on the criteria you select use when carrying out your search.

The default option for Search Query is set at "Search for any terms or use query as entered". Using this option gives 6570 matches.

Using the "Search for all terms" option gives 102 matches.

It looks as if the second option gives a more refined result. Maybe someone on the forum can provide the answer as to why? It might prove useful to other users.

When you search on the forum for "water hammer", you need to select match on all terms, or you will get every reference to "water" or "hammer", hence 6,570.

CanI have an award for Sillybuggerplumber :?: I`ve been trying really hard to take the P and offer advice too. Read some of my posts :LOL: :LOL: I`ve just got too much time on my hands, My fortune has been made:cool: I am a man of leisure ;) Oh yes, clip the pipes that are vibrating..you can get copper clips that go over the pipes, from the sheds. fit new ballvalve, as suggested, and if you`re a competent diy plumber, try a "shock arrester vessel" from PTS.. mention me, I`m on commision :LOL: Under £30.00 the lot...£100 for me to do it cash only, no hidden cameras.

FullEffect said:
i've just looked in the cupboard until i found the vibrating, once i held it stopped vibrating, but then it felt as if it was vibrating stronger in my hand, when i released my hand it seemed to vibrate even louder.

thanks again!
Daz
Sure it was a pipe you grabbed :?:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back