Loud noise from Worcester-Bosch Greenstar 24i combi boiler - only heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

My Worcester Bosch Greenstar 24i combi boiler has recently started to make a very loud buzzing / drone noise, usually within about 5 minutes to 1 hour after the heating has turned on.

The problem only seems to happen when calling for heating, it has never happened when using hot water (e.g. while taking a long shower). After the buzzing starts, turning the heating off from my Tado thermostat gets rid of the noise. But next time you switch it on the problem will eventually reoccur.

Boiler was last serviced in April 2023 and I have checked the pressure is ok (slightly above 1.5 bar when heating is on)

I have a video for reference so you can hear the sound: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1eaYMpi4KvBTgPrV24SmqtO8vr5RFDqJo/preview

Has anyone had a similar problem? Or any experts able to suggest which part might be at fault here?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Probably the pump, hot water runs off mains pressure and the pump only kicks in for CH.

Last edited:
It is ca
Hi all,

My Worcester Bosch Greenstar 24i combi boiler has recently started to make a very loud buzzing / drone noise, usually within about 5 minutes to 1 hour after the heating has turned on.

The problem only seems to happen when calling for heating, it has never happened when using hot water (e.g. while taking a long shower). After the buzzing starts, turning the heating off from my Tado thermostat gets rid of the noise. But next time you switch it on the problem will eventually reoccur.

Boiler was last serviced in April 2023 and I have checked the pressure is ok (slightly above 1.5 bar when heating is on)

I have a video for reference so you can hear the sound: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1eaYMpi4KvBTgPrV24SmqtO8vr5RFDqJo/preview

Has anyone had a similar problem? Or any experts able to suggest which part might be at fault here?

Thanks in advance.
your boiler is what is called resonating, it is a combustion problem because it hasnt been serviced properly or the gas valve settings have drifted, get Worceter out direct to service the boiler properly

It is ca

your boiler is what is called resonating, it is a combustion problem because it hasnt been serviced properly or the gas valve settings have drifted, get Worceter out direct to service the boiler properly
If it's a combustion problem why is it only present during the CH cycle and not during the HW too? (genuine question)

Sponsored Links
If it's a combustion problem why is it only present during the CH cycle and not during the HW too? (genuine question)
You have a combi boiler, when running HW the energy from the boiler goes to what is called a plate heat exchanger and that energy is used up quickly, so the boiler seldom modulates (reduces the burning rate) but when on CH once the radiators get hot the boiler will modulate to low rate just to keep them warm, and that is why you are getting the problem you have, when at low rate the burner is resonating, or think it of flame lift off as the mixture is wrong and that is the noise you are hearing, and that is why it only occurs when the heating has been on for a bit and the radiators are getting up to temp

You have a combi boiler, when running HW the energy from the boiler goes to what is called a plate heat exchanger and that energy is used up quickly, so the boiler seldom modulates (reduces the burning rate) but when on CH once the radiators get hot the boiler will modulate to low rate just to keep them warm, and that is why you are getting the problem you have, when at low rate the burner is resonating, or think it of flame lift off as the mixture is wrong and that is the noise you are hearing, and that is why it only occurs when the heating has been on for a bit and the radiators are getting up to temp
That makes sense, thanks, appreciate it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back