Loud Whale shower gulper noise? Sucking more than water available

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey,
My electric shower, “wet room” make loud noise when it’s pulling water in, I’ve had the pump itself replaced and checked for blockage etc
Plumber said it’s probably because the pump is pulling more water than is available. So it basically makes a loud noise from the water & air mixture.

I was advised to get an upgrade on the transformer which should have ability to change how much water the pump attempts to pull in.
The next upgrade would be SDS081T

I’m not sure if there are any better ones or ones I can adjust without taking the transformer off the wall again.

Any idea what I should buy?

I genuinely can not use my shower it’s too loud and I already have other issues I’m too stressed

Sponsored Links
Any gulper pump is noisy by design. Run times are I believe adjustable and advice is out there on youtube.

Any gulper pump is noisy by design. Run times are I believe adjustable and advice is out there on youtube.
Can’t find anything about it except regarding other noise such as the pump itself being noisy. But nothing really on there not being sufficient water to the power of the pump, resulting in a loud horrible noise between the outlet pipe and the hole on wet room floor

Usually gulper pumps run from a flow switch, i.e. when you turn on the water a flow switch turns on the pump so when you turn it off it overruns a little then stops. Most whale transformer that I remember have jumper switches on the bottom to allow the transformer to be adjusted for volumes.

What is the pipe size from the waste outlet to the pump? As it's an electric shower you are you using then it's should be 15mm, this can make quite a difference to the noise. That should be bespoke as the waste/gulley usually comes with the kit.

Sponsored Links
I had one the other day was mounted under a bath was a dry deck whale pump had a controller screen remote to the pump. Not like the council spec akw Walle version.
Was able to adjust speed (noise) by altering voltage to the pump in the menu.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back