Lounge lighting

I

imamartian

I'm redecorating my front room, and have 2 small chandalier thingd going on.... and i'd like to go a bit modern.... am i safe (or wise) to create a kind of light box .... so build a timber (mdf) box on the ceiling, and paint it white, maybe have a perspex front (painted ot etched opaque.

And then add in lighting effects, e.g. downloghters, led rope lights, or whatever is available... all tied to a bank of switches...

am i barking mad? or is it doable?

Sponsored Links
I have in the past programmed both PLC's and PIC's to create some odd effects. But the question must be what are your skills? With a PLC I was good and could get it to do what I wanted. But my skills with PIC's were somewhat lacking and I never did really master the process when doing my degree.

I say this to point out the level of skill required. Only you will know your skills. PLC's are expensive although there as some designed for home use. PIC's are cheap but require a lot of skill. I would say level 5 as far as university levels go. (Level 3 is max for non university training).

So only you can answer the question. Have you the skills required?

I would go for the standard Euro system of a 1/3 to 2/3 split. If you split your lighting 1/3 and 2/3 with two switches this gives you three levels of lighting with two switches. Simple and effective. But only you can know your skill.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back