My Lounge Lights Have Blown

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone help: My lounge lights have just blown when I switched them on. They have done this on several occasions before and it is normally just the bulbs - which when replaced everything is fine. However, I've replaced the bulbs with ones I know work and still nothing. All other electrics in the house are working ok. My fusebox is not a modern 'trip switch type' so I am not sure what to do - the fuse box has four large fuses in it and I don't know which is for where. Anyone got any suggestions as to what the problem might be before I go the expense of calling an electrician? Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Is it just the lounge lights? Or have they all gone out, in which case you've probably blown the lighting fuse. It will probably be marked 5 amps and may well be colour coded with white dots or similar. If you're really not sure about this a flick through the local evening paper might be your best bet.

i would start by checking the fuses

if they are rewireables you should be able to see any breaks in the wire

if they are cartridges you will need to find something to test them with

Sponsored Links
How many lounge lights? Almost sounds like you are in the habit of losing several bulbs at once?

Fuses do not normally fail when a bulb goes, but it is possible. Bulbs frequently go when they are turned on. If the fuse has gone, not surprising you can not find any lights working. But It might just be possible you have a duff batch of bulbs which someone dropped or something.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back