Low energy bulbs blowing - just inspected & tested.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

wifeys mum has just had a rewire & inspection/testing in her council house.
They fitted an energy-saving light fitment in her bathroom, but since then she's replaced the bulb about 4 times in 3 months.

As these bulbs are relatively dearer than normal ones, it's a real pain for her.
She's asked the council sparks, but they say it's just a 'cheaper bulbs' problem. Can anyone advise which would be considered NOT the cheap bulbs please ? Last one in was by Pro-lite plus, whoever they are.

BTW I stuck my multimeter in there and it showed 255 then 256 V ac. Is this larger than the +/- nominal voltage . ( can't remember the tolerances )

Cheers,

Pete

Sponsored Links
yes. the supply ought to be between 220 and 250 volts. Official is 230, average is 235.

256 is way too high. Ask your DNO if anything can be done. In fact, tell them to do something.

actually 253 is the top of the allowed band so its only 3V over.

remember your meter may be inaccurate though.

Thanks for that,

it's an old/general purpose/digital multimeter. So I think I'd get it checked better before approaching the supplier. I assume then that energy-saving bulbs are more succeptible to blowing than other bulb types. The lights are all on the same circuit, but it's only ever the energy one which blows.

Cheers,

Pete

Sponsored Links
OOI, are you installing the same (possibly cheap) brand?

Osram in my experience are fantastic. I use one for my hall light which is on 24/7 and I've used the same one I had in the old house (I moved in June 99)!!

Well as it's mum-in-law's house she's been buying the bulbs and I suspect they've all been cheap ones. However it seems it's my problem now...........

I'll try a good make 1st and take it from there.

Cheers,

Pete

crafty1289 said:
securespark said:
I use one for my hall light which is on 24/7
why is it on 24/7?

People never know whether you're at home or away if the light stays on ALL the time.

It's a security thing I got from a CID officer...

What type of fitting is it??

Sounds possibly like a 2d type??

2 pin or 4 pin??

Lectrician,

Not really sure on the type of fitting. I know it has a ceramic holder for the bulb and it takes bulbs of type - large edison screw. The bulb filament is like a spiral too, but I'm sure that doesn't matter.

Pete

get an "expensive" named brand like Phillips - the "Electronic" ones is what they claim are soft colured "white" light. I have some and they really do last for years.

I used to know the voltage tolerance, but it was something incredibly wide - like it will run happily between 100v and 300v

Thanks for that,

Like I said I'll try a decent make next. Also,I think I'll take this opportunity to invest in a new multimeter. I've just been reading the large post on neon testers........ Voltage indicators seem a good idea but I think I'd get more use out of a multimeter.

Cheers,

Pete

also, check connections are all good - a loose one causing a flicker will make filament bulbs fail early, Ii don't know what effect they have on CFLs though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back