Low garden retaining wall.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to get a low retaining wall around a soil filled flower bed replaced. Probably use similar Marshall faced blocks with some rustic effect. My old wall has been there for about 40 years. It has bowed out a bit in places. Is it ok to have a single skinned wall? It will be only 3, maybe 4 courses high and retain an area of about 4 square metres. Should it have gaps to allow for drainage and expansion?

Sponsored Links
You should certainly have gaps for drainage or you may end up with a soggy bog instead of a flower bed. It wouldn't take much to make it a double skin and is sure to last longer.

For such a short wall you could do a drystone wall rather than pay for marshalls, you don't need footings. I have done this and it worked well for me (the wife was pleased).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back