DPM for 1ft engineering brick retaining wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I’m building a single skin, 4 courses solid engineering brick retaining wall to retain a small garden lawn. I’ve left weep holes every 2nd brick at ground level and will backfill with 10mm pea gravel, but wanted thoughts on whether a polythene membrane should be put along the side of the wall touching the soil. Can’t seem to find any advice when using engineering brick for the whole wall but have seen this photo which talks about the need for DPM but with facing bricks (which I’m not using!).

Any ideas on whether a DPM is needed folks?

Tom

Attachments

• 15BB2A21-D5F8-4882-9B0F-82B320EFFD8A.jpeg
    15BB2A21-D5F8-4882-9B0F-82B320EFFD8A.jpeg
    116.5 KB · Views: 745
Sponsored Links
Tommo32, good evening.

A DPM of some sort will not go amiss given you have engineering brick a couple of layers of a good brush on liquid should assist fro some time, allow the mortar to dry first?

Suggest that to keep the 10mm gravel "clean" and free from being blocked up by small particles of earth, you totally wrap the pea gravel in a suitable Geotextile, such as "Terram" other such materials are available.

By wrapping, I mean base, both sides and wrap any remaining over the top of the pea gravel, hence it stays clean and allows free drainage.

Ken.

Happy Easter Ken, that’s great advice thank you, I’ll get some Apollo weed control fabric to wrap the shingle and probably will use a physical polythene DPM. The photo is where I’m at currently! Have moved onto the structure for the steps where I’m going to lay paving slabs. Any feedback on what I should put inside the square concrete footing hollows to stop the bugs congregating through the weep holes?

Attachments

• FC5A2607-26E0-4D27-90EC-F7855A65E426.jpeg
    FC5A2607-26E0-4D27-90EC-F7855A65E426.jpeg
    262.8 KB · Views: 153

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back