lumps in a lawn? / small retaining wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My new flat came with quite a large garden with 2 lawns..

one lawn near the flat is ok, but the other lawn has large lumps in it..

what is the best way to get rid of these?

is it a case of skimming the turf off the top, scooping out the lump and replacing the turf?
or do you think a few weekends with a heavy roller will level it all out?

the garden slopes away from the flat as well but has been sort of terraced with the bottom half about a foot and a half lower than the top..

this change in height is currently acheived by a small steep bank.

the bank is not square so I would like to build a retaining wall with blocks on flat and face it with brick and back fill to it to square off the patio above..

how deep do I need the foundations to be if they are 18 inches wide to support a wall about 4 feet high? ( 1 1/2 feet retaining as above then a further 2 foot or so with just the brick skin as a safety wall..?

Sponsored Links
to even out the bumps, carfully lift the turf and remove the excess soil underneath. using a roller will only compact the soil underneath.

thanks, that's what i thought..

think I can re-post the brick wall question to the building forum without braking any rules?

Sponsored Links
you should be looking at about 300-400mm for a retaining wall at that height.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back