Low hot pressure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just bought a Plumbsure Crystal mixer tap from B & Q. Fitted it but am now disappointed with the pressure. Can I fit a booster pump to this type of mixer tap. It is marked as low presuure but I am not looking to boost the pressure by that much.

Sponsored Links
What kind of tap was there before and was the flow a lot better on that?
Are the connections on the new tap different to the old one (IE flexi pipe against rigid copper, size of pipe etc...)?
How did you go about changing it, were there isolation valves on the old tap or did you need to drain down the system?
As the poor flow is on the hot side only, do you have mains or low pressure cold?

It would be cheaper to buy a better tap than it would to buy and fit booster pump, and it would take up less space too. If it really is a low-pressure tap then it would be inadvisable to boost the pressure anyway, and in any case most booster pumps have to be plumbed in in the cylinder cupboard, requiring alterations to the plumbing in there.

The shower/bath mixer was exactly the same as the unit before but with the addition of a shower. It is a tank fed cold supply and both hot and cold pipes have isolation valves fitted.
The fitting of a pump near the hot water tank would not be a problem, it is in the airing cupboard with plenty of room to work.

Unfortunately these types of bath/shower mixers are not thermostaticly controlled, so would not protect you, the young or elderly from being scalded, so it may be best to have a wee rethink about using it as a shower.

Sponsored Links
The fact that it is not thermostatically controlled is my choice. Unless there are occupants of my new house I'm unaware of, there should be no elderly or minors using it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back