Low Hot Water Pressue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - i have Low Hot Water Pressue, i've measured (somewhat roughly) output of my taps

Downstairs Kitchen Sink - 2.7 litres per minute
Upstairs Bathroom Sink - 3.6 litres per minute
Upstairs Bathroom Bath - 2.7 litres per minute
Upstairs Ensuite Sink - 6 litres per minute

My main concerns are ovbviosuly the bath and kitchen sink hot water taps...
From experience and part from a partually closed valve (which it's not) what else could be causing the terrible flow to the bath and kitchen sink taps?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I don't know the age of your system but a comman cause of this is a build up of dirt/crust around the CWS tank outlet to the hot water cylinder.

Gives the result of a half closed valve.

thanks for the prompt reply -
System is about 18 years old

If this is the case how would i remove it?
Flush it?
take it apart and clean?

Kind Regards

I wouldn't expect the outlet to be encrusted after 18 years.

Do any of the taps splutter with air? Has this problem just happend or has it gradually happend?

Well my first port of call would be the gate valve but you say its okay?

Any plumber will tell you gate valves are unreliable over ten years old, the spindle can shear off and the gate can be fully down or partially down but the head keeps turning.

Turn the gate valve anti clockwise gently until it stops, if it just keeps turning its sheared.

I live in a soft water area so I've never had to deal with limescale but whats your water like?

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't expect the outlet to be encrusted after 18 years.

Do any of the taps splutter with air? Has this problem just happend or has it gradually happend?

Well my first port of call would be the gate valve but you say its okay?

Any plumber will tell you gate valves are unreliable over ten years old, the spindle can shear off and the gate can be fully down or partially down but the head keeps turning.

Turn the gate valve anti clockwise gently until it stops, if it just keeps turning its sheared.

I live in a soft water area so I've never had to deal with limescale but whats your water like?

Thanks Threadjacker in answer to your questions i will test the gate valves anticlockwise (i'm presuming this is the isolation valve for each tap?)

As for limescale - i live just outside Blackpool so i'm presuming is soft too.

Kind Regards

No the gate valve has a red wheel and is found in the airing cupboard, there will be a 22mm pipe from the bottom of the cylinder that goes up into the loft.

On this pipe will be a gate valve to isolate the hot water, just make sure its fully open.

Don't mess with any other valves apart from that one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back