Low Level Air brick

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I have recently tried to level and clear the side of my house, the ground slopes down from my neighbors property to mine, there is a small retaining wall which is back filled on my side which exaggerate the slope on my side even more. When clearing the the soil I uncovered an air brick that I was unaware of, its one brick level lower than the others. I think the reason for this is that it's on the side of the house where the garage is located, garage floor is about 7" lower than the rest of the house. This is the only low level air brick all the others are at a higher level. With the gradient sloping toward my house, this will cause water to run off towards the airbrick. I'm now a little concerned and want to prevent any water seepage and of course keep the air brick ventilated. I believe the are a few option:
1. level all of the ground to the lowest air brick level, but i'm not sure if this will be problematic due to the gradient of the retaining wall back fill. Can i simply level up to the back fill?
2. Raise the air-brick level with some king of snorkel system
3. Lower the ground level in front of the air brick and fit some kind of gravel strip or drainage system

I was hoping to do this myself but i think the last two option will require a builder.

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Shawn

Attachments

• air brick 1.jpg
    air brick 1.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 277
  • air brick 2.jpg
    air brick 2.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 254
Sponsored Links
My first thought.... is the air brick needed? If it has been covered over previously has this resulted in any internal problems?
I would look to remove and replace with a brick. I assume the floor isn’t suspended being a garage? Could you cut another brick out higher up and and swap that with the vent?
It would be a shame to have it restrict your landscaping plans

Sponsored Links
Back