Low pressure and no hot water after moving radiator

Sponsored Links
Ok, sorry we are new to this.
But the water press valve was located in the cupboard below. Water press was restored but...we can't close off the lockshield was are missing a bolt (might have fallen under the floorboards when we took the radiator off). As you guessed there was loads of water when he tried to turn up the pressure. Now it has dropped again. Guess we need to find a way of closing it off or getting a plumber.

Send a pic of it..?

Yes - if there is an open end the pressure will not rise. It’s a sealed (pressurised) system.

Think of a tube of toothpaste - if you squeeze it with the lid on nothing will really happen... squeeze it really hard (i’e increase the pressure) and potentially the lid will blow off causing a toothpastegasm...

Squeeze it with the lid off and it just comes out the end... same with central heating.

Bad analogy..? Hey, i don’t care... it’s sunny and i’m chilling in the garden!

Last edited:
It's just a "compression end" but the person who installed it squished the pipe on one side so the compression end is actually a different size at each end. I need to go to B&Q to buy a replacement.
It take it that it is "safe" to have a shower etc (though it will be cold of course with no pressure)

Sponsored Links
humanracer can you refit the radiator,then re pressurise the system.

Edit,new message mentions squishing,hate squished pipes.

Turn heating off at thermostat.. so boiler doesnt lock out.

You’ll get hot water.. the water and the heating are 2 separate systems

I am not sure why all I know is in the past when we couldn't get hot water it was because the water pressure was too low.

Anyone..? Old and cold... muggles... wanna help..?

Turn the hot water on - tell me what happens..

sorry I should have made it more clear...
The boiler won't operate if the water pressure is low. It gives an error.

Turn your thermostat down.

Turn the boiler off...

Leave a few seconds...

Turn boiler on...

Turn hot water on...

Error..? Water comes out of taps..??

When turning the blue knob earlier - did you leave it in the open position..?

Anyone..? Old and cold... muggles... wanna help..?

Turn the hot water on - tell me what happens..

There's a pressure switch inside the boiler, which prevents it from firing in either heating or hot water mode if the pressure is too low. It's there to prevent dry-firing

but the boiler is what supplies the hot water and sadly the boiler won't operated due to the low water pressure.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back