Low pressure from shower head, solutions?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I let out a house and the shower runs from a mixer, with hot water coming from a tank. The hot water tank is at floor level upstairs, the shower is also upstairs, and the header tank is in the attic immediately above them both - so the usual arrangement, I think.

Pressure from the shower is quite low, it mostly just falls from the head. For example, if you take the head down and hold it inverted around tap level, the water just about bubbles out of the jets and over the head; it doesn't spray up in the air as my cheapo electric shower does at home.

I do not know whether the cold water comes directly from the mains, or via a header tank. Will this make a difference?

My tenants want a solution, I am thinking to:

1) try a new hose and head in case they are clogged
2) ????
3) install a pumped electric shower (will require all new electrics)

Any other ideas or things to "test"? Subjectively, the flow rate from the bath taps seems pretty normal, heavy rush of water.

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
In order of likely economic effectiveness:

1. Remove hose and head, see if flow is halfway decent. If so , replace hose and / or head.
2. Install an electric power shower with integral pump. These don't heat the water so don't need heavy cabling. Hot and cold can generally come off existing pipes.
3. Retain shower (or possibly replace if integrated shower / bath taps) and install a separate pump. Will need new pipework from hot water cylinder and cold water storage cistern.
4. Install cold mains fed electric shower. Will need mains pressure cold water feed and substantial new cabling back to consumer unit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back