Low pressure in boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone help? We have a Potterton Puma 80 boiler and have not used it much over the summer ( obviously!) It is now indicating 'Low system pressure' and we have no hot water. How do I charge up the system and get the water hot again?

Sponsored Links
you use the fill loop, if you search these forums you will find the answer and a picture of one, as it has been asked before

After fitting the filling loop, only open the valve gently a little at a time and you will see the pressure gauge rise very slowly and you can stop when you reach the desired pressure.
If you open the valve too much too quickly you will have full mains pressure and you will have the problem of reducing it back to about 1.5 bar.
Also it would probablely open the presure relief valve which may give a problem afterwards
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

A bit pre-emptive, this: fairly often when you recharge those "flat"potty's the guage goes up but a blockage in the pressure switch still stops the boiler starting. If that happens you have to drain, unscrew switch, clean with li'll bit o wire and replace.

Sponsored Links
ChrisR said:
A bit pre-emptive, this: fairly often when you recharge those "flat"potty's the guage goes up but a blockage in the pressure switch still stops the boiler starting. If that happens you have to drain, unscrew switch, clean with li'll bit o wire and replace.

too right good advice but make sure you get the wires back in the right order its a b'gger if you dont :LOL:

You sure? There are only 2 on the pressure switch, and it's just a switch... and don't telll anybody, but if you leave them both off the boiler works!

ChrisR said:
You sure? There are only 2 on the pressure switch, and it's just a switch... and don't telll anybody, but if you leave them both off the boiler works!

hold hold up am i being a bit thck but thought this combi had three wires to the low pressure swicth D'OH :oops: :oops:

and yes leaving them off will make the boiler work riiiiight ;) say no more

I'd just like to say thanks to everyone who posted an answer to my question - the boiler is now working and hot water flowing!

Cheers

Davver

I ought to say this is about the only boiler where I'm that familiar with the pressure switch wiring... ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back