Low Pressure in Shower Y Plan Condensing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys, I moved in to this house an year ago and have been dealing with extremely low pressure in shower.

It is a Y plan system with condensing boiler on ground floor.

Hot water tank on 1st floor

bathroom on 1st floor

some other tank in loft

Pressure in taps is fine just the shower and it is not limited to hot water, even cold water pressure is low.

I have replaced shower hose and head but it made no difference.

Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Whats the distance (roughly) between the shower head and the bottom of the loft tank ?

It is just a standard shower over bath, not electrical.

Distance - I reckon about 5 - 6 feet

If I take the shower head off the holder and hold it lower, it makes a marginal difference to pressure, very marginal or may be none.

Tank in loft is a small one.

However in the airing cupboard where hot water tank is, there are a number of valves, I don't know what these valves do and whether they can affect pressure.

Sponsored Links
You've got around two-tenths of a bar pressure at the showerhead. I can pee better than that.

As previous, shower pump.

Check all supply valves are fully open, and filters in shower tails are clean! Make/model of shower may help us assist!

Check all supply valves are fully open, and filters in shower tails are clean! Make/model of shower may help us assist!

I have changed shower head and hose.

Shower tails?

Where do I find supply valves?

Make/Model - it is just a pipe coming out of wall, not an electrical shower.

I am surprised how previous owners coped with it for so long.

raise the height of the roof tank or as others have said get a pump fitted

............Tank in loft is a small one.....................

You really need to check whats what with the tank situation.

Before you run to put a pump in, check the tank size you have. If its only 25 gallon then DONT go fitting a pump. The pump will deplete the water store of that tank.
Increase the tank size and jack it up by cross layering 4x2 Get yourself some CLS, its used for internal studwork and is cheaper than 4x2 and then put it on a PLYWOOD base not blinkin chipboard. 18mm at that
You raise the tank by 12 inches AND increase its nonimal capacity it WILL make a differnence ;)

Thanks, I will check the tank but I don't understand why raising cold water tank will make any difference to hot water in shower. Hot Water Tank is on the same floor as the shower. The tank in loft is cold water tank.

Also why builders don't consider these things in their designs.

There is not pressure issue in taps.

Palmist";p="2626207 said:

Thanks, I will check the tank but I don't understand......

Thats what makes me the expert ;)

Also, the cylinder needs a cold feed from the tank in the loft in order to push the water out of the top of the cylinder to the taps when a hot tap is opened. Head height if the tank in the loft is all important

[/quote]
[quote/]

Thats what makes me the expert ;)

[/quote]

Aha I am getting the hang of it. Much thanks, I will be climbing tonight to see what can be done :)

thank you kindly.

Still wondering why builders don't consider these things.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back