Low pressure on a newly installed heating system

DBG

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks , thanks for taking the time to read this :)

My mother recently had a new heating system installed (Ideal Classic SE15 FF) with 7 new rads and all new pipework . There was an airlock today and I bled 3 of the 4 upstairs rads . One drew through with no problem but the other 2 were taking an age to bleed . I gave up in the end as there was no sign of anything happening . No hiss of air and only the occasional trickle of water could be heard entering the rad.

I'm a bit concerned that the pressure is very low on the boiler (0.4 bar , even when the heating is on ) . Would this explain why I cant draw water efficiently through the rads when bleeding , or even explain the airlock occuring in the first place ? I cant figure from the manual how to increase the pressure myself (it's a sealed system unit) .

The guy who installed the system insists that 0.4 bar is fine for the system but I always thought somewhere around 1.0-1.5 was standard . I'm no plumber so would appreciate your thoughts on this . I dont want to get on to him about something that isnt his fault !

Following the heating circuit rads 1-4 (downstairs) are fine as is number 5 (first one upstairs . Rads 6 and 7 seem airlocked - hot at the bottom , cool near the top . Rad 8 is fine .

If not the pressure what could I try to remedy this ? Should I just get the installer back out ?

Any input is very much appreciated - my ma is in her 70s and needs this fixed , given the time of year .

Sponsored Links
You are correct, not your plumber :eek:

You need about 1 -1.5 bar pressure. This is indeed why you cannot bleed any more rads.

If the boiler is downstairs and reading 0.4 then upstairs rads will be about 0.1.

Top it up and bleed all rads again, then re-pressurise. Keep doing this until all air has gone and water comes out of air bleeds on rads.

Thanks very much for your reply , Dave :) .

Will follow your advice in the morning .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back