Low pressure on Mira Combiflow shower

Sponsored Links
Not if they're saying it can flow up to 20L/Min

Spoken with Mira, they said the shower warranty expired on Dec 2014, so they are happy to send the flow cartridge out free of charge but not fit it. I will have to arrange my own plumber to this. Bit daft really considering only 2 months have passed.

Well, that's a result if you're getting the flow cartridge free of charge.

It was deffo the pressure balancing cartridge they replaced last time as they confirmed so not sure why didn't do the flow cartridge at same time. Mind you the last guy who came out didn't tighten something up and I ended up with a flooded kitchen when I got home. They had to pay for redecoration.

Sponsored Links
Just an update, flow cartridge has been replaced and it's still exactly the same. Maybe getting 10l/m with a diff shower head on but still not the 12-13 we get from all the taps.

My next thought is to get a pump that if I am thinking right will force 12l/m through the shower. Apparently the pumps cut out if you get 12 so the other taps etc wouldn't cause it to run but with the shower not being so good it should cause it to turn on and pump more water when the shower is on as it will sense the flow is below the 12l/m? Would you fit it on the main cold supply or the cold supply into the combi though?

Two pumps ive been looking at are:

http://home-boost.co.uk or a grundfos which is a little cheaper - https://www.plumbnation.co.uk/site/grundfos-upa-15-90-home-booster-pump-59539509/

After all that's been done, ruled out the everything else, is it worthwhile going to that level to get an extra 2L/Min?

I do seem to remember this conversation a couple of years ago? There was an issue with your supply too wasn't there?

If that's been fixed and everything else, at mains pressure, is delivering 12L/min then the only other thing it can be is either a restriction in the pipework from the taps to the shower or we're back to a restriction in the shower or it's not able to flow that much, no matter what mira say.

At this stage I don't think a pump wouldn't make any difference and you need a specific type than can be used with combi's

The pipework is all 15mm and has been checked. The Yorkshire water also checked the pressure to the house and were getting more than 12l/m more like 13l/m. I think the shower is restricting the flow slightly. I think 2l/m extra would make the shower a lot more powerful as it would force 12l/m through the shower? Is that correct in theory?

Nope, flow and pressure are 2 different things, as I said previously you can have a great feeling shower @ 8L/Min because the pressure is @ 2bar than you would have on a shower @ 12L/min @ <1bar.

It's the pressure that gives you the 'massage' rather than the flow rate.

Have you checked the mains static/maintained pressure, you know the maintained flow rate but not the pressures?

Yup, but you need to know what you're starting with before you get into knowing what you can achieve and therefore design a suitable setup.

You have the added difficulty of having a combi boiler, there's only a few pumps you can use with a combi boiler and you have to incorporate a break tank etc otherwise it has to be limited @ 12L/min if connected to the mains.

Those pumps I linked to say ideal for boosting flow to a combi boiler but I intend to put it on the main cold feed into the house otherwise the hot isn't going to be balanced properly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back