'Low-tac' masking tape

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm having a hellish time with so called 'low tac' masking tape pulling new emulsion off newly plastered walls.

I've mist coated with matt white Macpherson's emulsion diluted about 25-30% with water, then added a first coat of colour diluted about 15-20%. Upon applying ths tape, leaving it on for half an hour, then removing it, it is pulling the paint off back down to the plaster (not all the paint under the tape comes off just specks up to about 10mm diameter)

I queried this with the decorators merchant and pointed out that the first roll of tape was bought some 6 months ago, so would the adhesive have got stronger? He said maybe so, and I bought a new roll only to find the same thing happen when I got home, i.e. the paint getting pulled off back to the plaster.

Is something wrong with the tape or have I made a hash of painting the walls?

Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Did you allow the paint to dry fully? It won't be tough for a day or two.

The first time, with the old tape, the paint was the mist coat which had been on a couple of weeks so should have been tough.

The second time, with the new tape, the paint had only been on for less than 24 hours so wouldn't be tough.

Dont bother with low masking tape, just get your ordinary tape, and the trick is before you actually place it on the wall, tear strips off, and place the strips on your jeans, or whatever workclothes you have on, (doesnt work too good with fishnets) :rolleyes: ;)

Keep pulling the tape off, and placing it back on your jeans about 4-5 times, then you place the tape on the wall/ceiling

You will still have enough stickiness for the tape to stay on the wall, but will be easier to take off :D

Sponsored Links
Good idea that, however some of the areas I want to mask off will be 7' high and I'd rather use a continuous piece of tape to get a nice straight line.

Thanks for that tip though on reducing the tackiness.

spice said:
Dont bother with low masking tape, just get your ordinary tape, and the trick is before you actually place it on the wall, tear strips off, and place the strips on your jeans, or whatever workclothes you have on, (doesnt work too good with fishnets) :rolleyes: ;)

Keep pulling the tape off, and placing it back on your jeans about 4-5 times, then you place the tape on the wall/ceiling

You will still have enough stickiness for the tape to stay on the wall, but will be easier to take off :D

What about PVC all in one body suits??

When i had this problem I put newspaper strips on about three quarters of the masking tape, which reduced the area stuck to the wall but leaves enough of the adhesive side to hold it up. This reduced the amount being pulled off significantly, but there were still small areas that I had to touch up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back