Low tack tape

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm re-painting some walls and want to protect the recently, gloss painted woodwork (around a month old). I also need to caulk.

Is there a specific tape I should use? Or will any do as long as I remove it quickly?

If it makes a difference, the woodwork is pine, previously painted, rubbed down by me then primed/under coated and glossed x 2 coats.

Sponsored Links
A wide masking tape would be fine. Apply it so that it sits at 90 degrees to the skirting (you don't need to wrap the skirting board up). You could also use a chamois leather to clean off any specs immediately after painting the wall. If you want to make the tape a bit more low tack just bend it over your knee a couple of times to remove some of the adhesive

Sponsored Links
like DcDec I make sticky tape less so by sticking it to my cotton t-Shirts first.

The tape only needs very light pressure when applying it.

DO NOT leave it for more than a day or two. UV light makes the glue turn rock hard. (blue tape is normally safe for slightly more than two days).

sometimes, when I run out of tape I mist the skirting with a water sprayer, roll the paint and then run a J-cloth over the surface. The down side is that I have to wait slightly longer to cut in (only an issue on the final coat though).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back