Low voltage cable for automatic gate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're having a proper driveway built (hooray!). In the future we might like to install an automatic gate opener so this seems like a good time to lay a cable. If we used the low voltage type could we get away with laying it along the bottom of the kerbstone setting shown here? If yes, what spec of cable would these systems need and would 55m cause too much of a voltage drop?
kerb.jpg

Sponsored Links
I mean whatever voltage these things use - the ones I've looked at have been 24v.

Sponsored Links
is there specific product you had in mind, Ive just done a google, and the ones I found were either 230V operation, with a 24V control for remote opening from the house for visitors etc, or those that operated on 24V were battery operated, charged be a solar panel.

You really need 240v for the gate openers, and a seperate cable for the intercom/control.

You cannot lay the cable where you wish.

I would get a mini digger and trnech down the centre of the drive and install a decent duct. Looks like it may be too late for this though if your builders are wanting to get on.

Thank you everyone for your time. The drive has a 90 degree bend in it so if I have to bury a cable "properly" then I will go straight across the lawn, paths and raised beds with a mini digger - my wife will like that. Also it looks like I've been misled by the gate opener descriptions - 24v only refers to the motors, the supply is mains.

Thanks again.

Thank you everyone for your time. The drive has a 90 degree bend in it so if I have to bury a cable "properly" then I will go straight across the lawn, paths and raised beds with a mini digger - my wife will like that.
You can have a bend in the trench, it doesn't have to be in a straight line.

Also it looks like I've been misled by the gate opener descriptions - 24v only refers to the motors, the supply is mains.
It wouldn't make any difference to how you should install the cable, or what basic type you should use.

Thanks Ban, but I think you've misunderstood the significance of the bend in the drive. If I could get away with a ready made, albeit shallow, trench alongside then that would be great. But if I've got to do a proper trench then it's much shorter, and softer, to go across the third side of the triangle.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back