low voltage electricity to shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All! :)
I'd like your thoughts on this idea please:
Can i run the power off a plug in 12 volt AC transformer, that was powering my garden lights, to a garden shed 30 metres away and at that end attach one of those triple car lighter adapters and run things off that?
I think it sounds ok, but i thought i'd check first :)
i'm thinking of this because running 240v up the garden in any way is not an option.
cheers
Miger

Sponsored Links
i was going to at the time but thought better of it.

still, as you ask.

too much voltage drop
(unless you run a large cable to overcome this which i doubt you would)
what are you going to run? 1 fairy light?
Becuse thats about as much as you will be able
you cant use any mains kit,
waste of time
your power supply will be too small
lots of other things too

Sponsored Links
miger said:
low voltage electricity to shed
Firstly, what you proposed to supply the shed with wasn't low voltage it was extra-low voltage.

The IEC definitions of voltage bands are:
  • Extra Low Voltage: AC below 50V and DC below 120V
  • Low Voltage: 50 - 1000V AC or 120 - 1500V DC
  • Medium voltage: 1kV - 35kV
  • High voltage: 35kV - 230kV
  • Extra-high voltage: >230kV
This is not some pedantic technical point - if you start getting involved in doing your own electrical work, and start learning about regulations etc you'll come across references to "Low voltage", and it'll be no good you thinking that that means 12V...

Purely cost at the moment i'm afraid :(
Secondly ELV will be much more expensive because the cable you will need will be about 4.5x thicker for any given load.

The cost to dig the trench will be the same, but the cable will be 4-5x the price.

Extension cable and an RCD will see you ok until you can afford to get it done properly.
Unless you are welding of course :mrgreen:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back