Low voltage to glow plugs?

I would have expected a clogged fuel filter to give Ok driving round town and at low throttle opening but to run out of power at full throttle opening and to give a lower max speed on motorways,

But driving on the motorway seems reasonable but just the general lack of power/accelleration.

Its very marked between the two cars !

No obvious sign of black smoke as I would expect from a clogged air filter . Was also OK on the MOT exhaust test recently too.

Sponsored Links
pretty inexpensive to change it and maybe run a can of forte treatment through it too to help clean the system out

I have now checked and replaced the air filter although it was not very dirty.

If there was any difference then it was not noticeable.

I have not replaced the fuel filter yet but will try to do that soon as its about the only thing left that I can easily check.

However, to recap, the car drives pretty normally apart from the obvious lack of power at all revs. It also does a healthy 56 mpg !

The cam belt was replaced not too long ago so I would be surprised if that was not done at the same time but obviously it may not have been.

What detailed effect does a blocked fuel filter have when driving?

Tony

Tony logic would say if it blocked to any degree it would probably suffer in similar way to an under-gassed gas boiler.

After all both would be running whilst suffering fuel starvation and certainly not give their full output.

Sponsored Links
The effect is the same as what you are experiencing Tony - but I'd be most surprised (and very happy) if the performance is restored!
It remains a fact that some engines are better than others....maybe due to the tolerances regarding valve timing etc when they were built.
Its also a fact on earlier diesels that Bosch injection pumps performed better than Lucas ones - and to an extent I can vouch for that.
One small point - when the accellerator pedal is fully pressed to its stop, do make sure the injector pump is also on full bore....the adjustment is on the throttle cable, pump end.
John :)

Yes John I have checked the throttle movement is to the full extent.

My now retired M reg was rather average in performance, the T reg is the problem one and the X reg is what I think of as the sports car performance!

As soon as I get the exhaust on the X reg repaired then I will do my performance test. Thats the time taken to go from 40-50 at full throttle!

I will also see about replacing the fuel filter.

I have not replaced the fuel filter yet but have been thinking about this loss of power!

Now its a general loss of power and seems to apply to all speeds and engine revs.

Now perhaps I am wrong but this is what I have been thinking:-

The fuel is squirted into each cylinder according to the throttle setting!

At full throttle the maximum ( set ) volume is injected! One volume per rev!

Now surely the total volume injected per minute at 1000 rpm will be 1000 X X where "X" is the volume per injection?

But at 4000 rpm the volume used will be FOUR times that at 1000 rpm.

So if it is a blocked fuel filter then why is the problem present at all engine speeds INSTEAD of just at 4000 rpm?

Back