Low volts high volts big amps little amps

Hello All

I am trying to understand this so could a kind someone show me a diagram, a simple circuit where I could use say a 1.5 and a 9 volt battery to explain the principle of high and low voltage against big and little amps. I have a set of 1.5v batteries, showing full voltage but little or no current is passing. Not to tecky please, I have a multimeter, some leds, resistors and a few other bits and pieces.

Regards

If you had posted this in the Electrics section, I'm sure you'd have been quickly informed that 1.5V and 9V are both ELV; nowhere near high voltage! :LOL:

Sponsored Links
I am grateful for all your help. A good diagram IS easy to understand.
Many thanks everyone. Have a good Christmas

Lesson 1 - Voltage, Current, Resistance (Engineering Circuit Analysis)
http://map.tinyurl.com/ybh5h5yj

Several lessons in playlist to the right side of default screen.

-0-

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I am grateful for all your help. A good diagram IS easy to understand.
We may need to call on your services to explain that to the next person who pops up saying that they've installed a {whatever} and followed the instructions but it doesn't work, and when what they did is compared to what the perfectly clear diagram told them to do it is evident that they did not do what the perfectly clear diagram told them to do.

We may need to call on your services to explain that to the next person who pops up saying that they've installed a {whatever} and followed the instructions but it doesn't work, and when what they did is compared to what the perfectly clear diagram told them to do it is evident that they did not do what the perfectly clear diagram told them to do.
Does living in London send you that potty?

There are two parties to a written communication, a writer, and a reader.

If the reader finds that what the writer wrote does not make sense then either

a) the fault lies with the writer

or

b) the fault lies with the reader.

This is a (b).

There are two parties to a written communication, a writer, and a reader.
That is rather an over simplified idea, I write, then the writing is turned into some form of code and sent to the reader, within that middle section all sorts can happen, raging from auto spell checking to turning into packets, to be sent, and sysop approval in some cases, using voice to text, or test to voice even more errors can exist.

I know with my tablet many times is changes what I write, so often I have to return and correct, and there will be those I miss.

I have to admit it is still a little bit of magic as far as I am concerned on how with a tuned circuit the amps can be so high, I remember doing the Q in a tuned circuit, but can't say I fully understood it. AC does not work like DC, however lucky in this case looking at DC.

In the main with a calculation we have an idea of the answer, which is just as well, I was always getting the decimal point wrong when using a slide rule.

The guy does however have some electronic components which seem at first glance not to follow what we expect. So look at 3 red LED's and a resistor connecting them to 12 volt battery, and compare with 3 green LED's and a resistor also to a 12 volt battery, I am going to assume the battery is actually 12 volt, although in real world this is unlikely to be the case. So in the red LED circuit with have a 340Ω resistor and just under 20 mA flows, but with the green we have a 280Ω resistor and still just under 20 mA flows.

Ohms law seems at first glance not to be working, this is because the LED is a current dependent device, typical voltage on red is 1.85 volt and green is 2.2 volt they don't have a fixed resistance this is dependent on the voltage.

Even a simple tungsten bulb the resistance is not constant at around 6 year old I learnt putting two 6 volt bulbs in series across my model train set tracks, that one bulb burnt out, because the mA ratings of the two bulbs were not the same. My dad explained ohm's law and I have never forgotten it.

However one to one is so much easier than with a forum, English is far harder to understand why is Happisburg pronounced Hazeborough? Unlike Granada and Canada they are not names of countries overseas, so why is it not pronounced as it sounds? No wonder they can't read and write and drive tractor!

Bear in mind, Eric, that I wrote what I did in reply to this:

Does living in London send you that potty?

No, my broad advice would be that people should be cognisant of their limitations.

Sponsored Links
Back