Low Water Pressure - Pumping Solutions - Which One

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Recently moved into a new house which does not have a Bath and has really poor hot water pressure upstairs. The system is gravity fed and the issue arises because of the minimal head between the cold water tanks (in the loft) and the HW Cylinder/taps upstairs.

Will be re-doing the bathroom, which includes installing a bath.

Current shower is boosted by a MIRA Power Shower, which provides sufficient pressure.

The Hot Water tap in the bathroom is the main issue as it just dribbles and when I install a bath it would take forever to fill it with similar water pressure.

PLEASE SEE ATTACHED DIAGRAM.

I have thought of 4 options, in order of preference. I also have included some questions within the options.

1) PUMP UNDER BATH

This will provide pressure to everything in the bathroom. I propose just feeding HW and CW pipes that currently go into the bathroom, directly into the pump and then outputting as required.

I fear that this solution is probably a bit controversial for 2 reasons. Firstly, there is no surrey flange mentioned but I don't understand why this is needed when the MIRA power shower was professionally installed without a surrey flange and has worked fine for over 5 years (with previous owners). Also, I assume when I run the kitchen tap (same pipe run) the pump might try to kick in but then stall.....however couldn't I just install a 1 way valve at the point before the pump to prevent this?

2) SURREY FLANGE WITH PUMP TO PUMP ALL HOT WATER PIPES
My issue here is that I have a MIRA power shower in the downstairs toilet. I wouldn't want to change this. Plus, downstairs water pressure is fine.

3) SURREY FLANGE (PUMP IN AIRING CUPBOARD) WITH NEW PIPEWORK TO BATHROOM ONLY
This seems like a lot of work and how would I pump cold water without making a new hole in the cold water tanks in the loft?

4) MAINS COLD WATER
To combat the above problem I could hook up the cold water to all be mains fed. I don't like this idea as it makes the 2 tanks in the loft redundant and negates some of the benfits of having cold water tanks.

Any help/comments much appreciated.

Happy new year everyone

Attachments

• Bathroom Hot Water Diagram.pdf
    466.7 KB · Views: 271
Sponsored Links
Well, it seems like you've already discounted Option 2 and Option 4 because of your power shower. You'll invalidate your pump's warranty if you go for Option 1, which leaves you with Option 3. Option 3 could equally be called "doing the job correctly" while Option 1 could be called "bodging it".

For Option 3, you would need to drill a new hole in your loft tank and provide a dedicated supply to the cold for the pump. You'll need a Surrey flange on the hot to prevent air being drawn into the pump, which will cause cavitation and a significantly decreased service life. Go for a Stuart Turner Monsoon pump from Bella Bathrooms

Hi Muggles,

Thanks for your advice.....most appreciated.

Your answer makes sense and I should do it properly, which I agree is Option 3!

With reference to my diagram, would the 22mm part of the surrey flange (i.e. the bit which could still capture air) just be connected up to the existing pipe work with no alteration (i.e. the bit that goes to vent and to house supply) and the 15mm bit to my new bathroom supply?

I just don't understand why the MIRA shower pumps don't need a surrey flange? Having looked at the installation instructions they don't need a surrey flange? I just don't understand why there is a difference? Both of mine are currently intaking cavitated water and they are essentially just pumps!

Also, I assume I can just blank off the existing pipework to the bathroom? Would you recommend using the compression blanks or is there something else? Do you guys trust the compression blanks under floorboards?

Thanks for your help!!!

The Hot Water tap in the bathroom is the main issue as it just dribbles and when I install a bath it would take forever to fill it with similar water pressure.
Get some decent taps which work properly on low pressure. The ones you have clearly do not.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your comment Flameport but I am finding that less and less of the taps that I like are low pressure ones.

Also, filling a bath will take ages even if I did have low pressure taps.

I had the same system at my previous house with low pressure taps. It was painful......

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back