Lowering a ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking to lower my bathroom ceiling by about 4 inches to hide an exposed beam (not the right word) in the corner of the room.
I was wondering what would be the easiest/cheapest way to do it.
I was thinking of attaching 4x2 at 90 degrees to the ceiling joists at centres to match the plaster board.
I'm finishing the ceiling with these http://www.decorcladding.co.uk/acat..._Ceiling_Panelling_Decor_Cladding_Panels.html

So was wondering would it still need a skim before I put them up?

and what would be the best way to attach the 4x2 to the joists, skewed nails/screws?

Or is there a better way altogether of going about it?

The room is about 5 x 7 1/2 foot btw.

Thanks in advance

Ralph

Sponsored Links
i personaly would go for 2x2" along the length screwed to the wall another length central breaking the span 2ft6"
2x2" every 22 to 24" along the room 2 inches off the wall at each end [first and last batton]this reduces the chance off splitting the tounge when blind nailing wood

centres at 3" 24" 45" 66" and 87"

Thanks Big-all, would you finish that off with plaster board and skim or are you saying you'd just attach the pvc cladding to that?

Just reread your reply and I'm not sure how your supporting the central length. Would that just be skewed into the wall at either end, then supported by the cross pieces?

Sponsored Links
screwed through the ceiling into the joists

you need to check if theres any fire safety issues with a void!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back